Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I'm not saying there is no fakery on TA, simply that a lot of it is easy to spot. Look at how few of the false glowing ones even talk about the rooms and their specifics. I guess what you're getting at with "elusive". Instead they talk about the staff as if they are their new best mates.

Yeah and I'm saying that it is often not at all easy to spot, outside the obvious ones.

And it's the 'reviews' that are negative about a place that are the ones that are often the most damaging of course.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im often WASTED MB, can I join even though I moved to QLD?

Back on topic, well kind of. Despite my earlier post I really rate Shiga. Its more a logical step if you start at Niseko, then Hakuba, then Shiga.... then, well hopefully I'll find out this season.

lol

Seemore - please don't be sad. You are welcome! The more the merrier.

And I haven't seen you in close to 2 years?? That is FAR too long!!! But pretty sure you take the dubious honour of being the FIRST forum member I met in person smile (oh except for Panhead, but we only realized we met a couple of years ago RECENTLY!)

One gathering so far, inaugural meeting - I think a little too much wine consumed. There was definitely talk of regular gatherings - and I promise I will start a new thread when one is decided upon!

The last one scarred my eyes though as GarethOAU came resplendently dressed in multicoloured striped thermal pants biggrin

Those of us from the sunburnt west need to stick together!

Pete - we already have a QLDer as a member IIRC - there is something in the "wine soaked rules" about members needing to have a 'connection' to WA ... you qualify!

Hi MB

Haven't seen any posts from Gareth for awhile.

No offence taken just having a laugh lol

Just hope the building industry picks up a bit and I might even visit Shiga Kogen this year.

Just got an email from Air Asia and worked out to be $1100 flights to Osaka.

Seemore

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude

And it's the 'reviews' that are negative about a place that are the ones that are often the most damaging of course.

You seem keen to bring Hakuba and Niseko into this, but are there many fake negative reviews about Hakuba accom on TA?

TA allows the hotel side to respond to reviews, so the owners of that place you know at Shiga Kogen should do so. All they have to say is that they take guests' comments very seriously, have questioned the staff extensively, and have concluded that the review in question is suspicious. Make no counter allegations. If, like a lot of leisure accom in Japan, they are on Jalan, or Yahoo and Rakuten, they could link to Google Translate for their page on there. The way to lessen the damage from malicious reviews is to flag them, not to just leave them and make sweeping generalisations about TA on another website.

There's a fair few, I reckon, especially in percentage terms.

I'm sure everyone just loves the often cut and paste 'we take guests' comments very seriously, have questioned the staff extensively, and have concluded that the review in question is suspicious. Have a nice day' responses.

And actually, a fair few people don't know about and/or are not sufficiently conversant in web things to do much. This can be seen from the quality of (or even lack of) websites that lots of hotels and pensions etc still have. Or perhaps you think they don't have any right to operate a hotel if they are not constantly online and checking Tripadvisor and the like.

I've been to Shiga twice, and stayed at 2 different place. I'm going back there a third time in January and staying at a different place still.

For me, I calls it how I sees it..

Sunroute - Caters for westerners. Hasn't got fantastic food, service ok but the price is decent.

Hotel Mt Shiga - Quiet, run by a couple of old timers who like what they do. Food is traditional Japanese, doesn't really cater to westerners, not flashy, but at a good price and I would stay there again.

I'm hoping I can get into the Hotel Ichinoseso... I've emailed them about booking a room, but haven't heard anything back.

I should go to Hakuba or Niseko one day, but I love the size and convenience of Shiga.

I am staying at the Okushiga Kogen and Unnjyo no Yado Yokote Sancho Hutte this season at Shiga, both opposite ends of the resort and both have very different things on offer. I am looking forward to staying. I also have a side trip to Myoko Kogen as well.

I stayed at Prince East last season so I thought I would try something different

• 2 weeks later...

Yakote Sancho Hutte - an interesting choice - it could be very good or very boring depending on conditions. I have been up there a few times over a few seasons on day trips from Ichinose area.

The Good - if you are up there after a fresh dump you will be the first to get the goods.

The Boring - If you get crap weather/wind you may be trapped up there for days as it is the highest & most exposed spot at Shiga

Hoping you get the former.

I am staying down the hill at Kumanoya for a few days in Feb & then 5 days back at Ichinose

Originally Posted By: The Skiing Lawyer
Friend of mine was in that stuck up there situation last season. They just had their fill on bread. wink

And.......custard buns, bread filled with chocolate, sausage in bread etc. etc. Just roll me down the hill batman!

bread.jpg

Though there would be worse places to be marooned

CIMG4192.JPG

I was up there is white out and heavy snow once day last season and a much nicer day later in the week, its actually part of the attraction seeing it in wild weather, my son and his partner live in Queensland as he is with the RAAF, my Daughter in Nowra with the Navy and we are in the Riverina Area so it will be nice spend Christmas together no matter whats happening outside.

Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
I hope so but to improve our chances I chose the highest place I know with a hotel (in Japan).

Mind you I traveled to Las Vegas a few years back and got snow, I tend to do that.

What dates are you going ASB? - I want to be nearby, snow magnet worship