Buying stuff at the airport

Do you buy stuff at the airport?

Always wonder how much people spend is impulse buy, or 'that holiday feeling' buy, or getting rid of change.

Depends on how much time there is.

But, usually I have 2-3 hours before the flight to Manchester, so the usual pattern is a first pint (or two) and pick up a music magazine.

Always good feeling to be there are Heathrow with a pint and my holidays all in front of me.

thumbsup

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Why do you buy water, Mamabear?
Can't you get freebie bottles on da plane?
Yes, but they are tiny bottles and they get shitty if you ask for more than one on a trip...don't seem to have too much problem doling out the repeat booze though... doh

It is just easier to buy a good 600ml bottle and stick it in my bag so I can drink it whenever I please without bothering anyone. (I am a 3l a day drinker (water that is)

The white lovers choc and cheese cakes are all the same price everywhere. So they can be bought at the airport and put into luggage and then checked in. No need to lug those around town for the whole holiday.

depends on which way I'm going, ON holiday or HOME from holiday. If its the latter and I have a lot of money left (like my last trip to the UK.....I just couldn't spend all my money) then I'll spend a bit basically on wastage....books, magazines, sweets, newspapers....anything. I don't like coming home from holiday with money smile

Before a flight to NY from Heathrow once, I discovered a pub type booth that served Castle Eden, my most very favourite beer. Though I knew it was unwise, I quickly downed two pints before I got on the plane. I then developed an almost instantaneous hangover that lasted two days, including the first in NY. We took a wonderful boat tour around Manhattan, and I spent the whole time wondering if I was going to throw up. Just for two lousy pints.

I spent about 1 pound 80 p (back in the days when money was worth something), and yes, it was on impulse.

In spite of the prices, I normally eat something because I won't get on a plane hungry. And maybe buy some regional stuff if there's something I like. Liquorice from Amsterdam, pastis from France, etc.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
In spite of the prices, I normally eat something because I won't get on a plane hungry. And maybe buy some regional stuff if there's something I like. Liquorice from Amsterdam, pastis from France, etc.

Same kind of thing with me.

Or, eating something on the way over there (holiday spirit and all), and spending up on the regional stuff on the way back to Japan.
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Castle Eden.
Not had that one.
I'm looking forward tp trying lots of beers I have never heard of.

Don't waste any time looking for Castle Eden. It's gone. It was the most fragrant of beers.

Japanese airports are great for the range of stuff you can buy. Lavender pillows, cheesecakes, crabs, fish roe, sake, milk, name it.

Now compare that to Heathrow wher there's just burger king and beer.

I prefer Heathrow. Japanese airports sell the same old crap omiyage that every other tourist place in Japan sells....overpriced shite thats been on the shelves for about 6 months.......give me a few pints of London Pride and a Steak n Ale pie anyday!

Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
Frankfurt is a bleak and depressing concrete bunker of an airport

I don't know whether Germans still go in for that sort of thing, but there used to be comprehensively stocked sex shop in Frankfurt Airport that I didn't go in, no Sir!