Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum

For example on the other side of the mountain is Niseko Iowana, it had a single lift running operated by a couple of old guys that looked like they lovingly kept it operating.

Do you mean Iwanai down by the coast? I don't believe they've had any lifts running now for awhile. Don't think the cat ski operation is running anymore either.
Or do you mean Chisenupuri which only has the one lift?
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you could stay at Hukaba but there is just as many Aussies as there are in Niseko.

Not quite.
Certainly a different atmosphere and way easier to 'escape' if you so wish.

GN yes Iawana, I was skiing there about four seasons back now, I did not think it would last much longer, a shame really it was nice skiing overlooking the ocean.

My point is sometimes just get out there and find some very unique places, I have found many places I really had no idea where I was, just spotted in the distance and went for it.

Originally Posted By: SKI
you could stay at Hukaba but there is just as many Aussies as there are in Niseko.

Not quite.
Certainly a different atmosphere and way easier to 'escape' if you so wish.

Having been to both places agree totally. I understand why some people feel the way we do but if we are really honest, its nice to meet other people from Australia to share the experience with as well as Japanese folks whilst on any holiday. In fact sometimes it really adds, not only to the holiday but life in general, well after the holiday has finsihed.

Friend went to Hakuba last year. All the waiting for the shuttles and stuff pissed her off. She no returning there.

We would really like there to be no foreigners at all.

Thurs....ehhh Goosie, you should give places like Zao Onsen a go, Yuzawa area and Myoko. Of course the big areas like Shiga Kogen are still relatively Gaij free but are increasing on the Gaij trail. What about the Iwate resorts like Appi Kogen? I'm sure they'll be happy of the custom after the troubles that prefecture has endured this year
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
Thurs....ehhh Goosie, you should give places like Zao Onsen a go, Yuzawa area and Myoko. Of course the big areas like Shiga Kogen are still relatively Gaij free but are increasing on the Gaij trail. What about the Iwate resorts like Appi Kogen? I'm sure they'll be happy of the custom after the troubles that prefecture has endured this year

Or even smaller places, especially ones without English on their web sites.

Yeah try Hakuba Goosie

Furano no Good wink

Tomamu no Good evilgrin

Asahidake no good wink

Kamui no good evilgrin

Perhaps you should give Niseko another try maybe it is a UN holiday destination because IT IS GOOD razz Don't try the other resorts in hokkaido you wont like them rolleyes

Originally Posted By: Goosie
We would really like there to be no foreigners at all.

Have you thought if you see another group they will feel the same way about you or are you Japanese? Are you fluent? Why the xenophobia?

Doesn't mean xenophobia?

Perhaps they just want to experience a place that feels like totally Japan, with no kind of 'international' feel. For whatever reason. The feeling of being totally out in the sticks and on your own. Whatever.

Originally Posted By: JellyBelly
Doesn't mean xenophobia?

Xenophobia is defined as the "hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture" wink

I agree JB some people want that whole experience but having seen people struggle at Shiga Kogen with the language barrier to the point of it affecting their holiday sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for, especially if your experience is limited to the Kuta of Japan smile

We have curry here in Hakuba too so best not to come through these parts. The problem travelling to most of the other resorts around Japan is that they will mostly serve curry too. If you make curry your friend you will enjoy Japan the more for it. Curry can be your friend.

Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
We have curry here in Hakuba too so best not to come through these parts. The problem travelling to most of the other resorts around Japan is that they will mostly serve curry too. If you make curry your friend you will enjoy Japan the more for it. Curry can be your friend.

Curry is my friend. I like it. I just don't like burped in my direction by rag heads first thing in the morning.
An alternative to Niseko, well I found places in Japan where we never saw another non Japanese skier, many resorts were small local hills where we had a good afternoon skiing with the locals. Just get out there and find them.

For example on the other side of the mountain is Niseko Iowana, it had a single lift running operated by a couple of old guys that looked like they lovingly kept it operating.

Over the Northern areas of Hokkaido we found hotels with two or three lifts and a hand full of people skiing.

Tommamu is nice, as is Sahoro but you better not stay at club mad (French People might be there). I am not overly sold on Furano but love Rusutsu.

Shiga Kogen, now there is a place that I love or you could stay at Hukaba but there is just as many Aussies as there are in Niseko.

Six trips to Niseko, seriously, you need to get away from there, Japan has so much more to offer.

Great info. Best stay away from Hakuba then.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
In reference to the original post:
WOW! Just WOW!

If you don't like it, no problem - don't go.
If you want to find somewhere more Japanese and less 'united nations' then what is wrong with asking:
"I am looking for recommendations for good Japanese ski resorts that are less popular with foreign tourists".

I'd recommend Rusutsu, but we horrid foreigners have found that too.
I believe some of us have discovered Tommamu...
And on Honshu we have infiltrated Happo, 47, Iwatake, Cortina, Naeba, Nozawa Onsen...
Need I go on?

Niseko is the most 'commercial' and 'international' of the ski resorts in Japan, followed fairly closely by Hakuba resorts. Outside of these you should hear less UN accents.

Better stay away from those too I suppose. Better safe than sorry.
Originally Posted By: Goosie
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ

Curry is my friend. I like it. I just don't like burped in my direction by rag heads first thing in the morning.

If you were truly at one with curry then you would accept it in all it's forms. You are obviously a curryist and definitely not welcome in these parts. You and all your Curry Clux Clan can stay away from Hakuba.