As I posted in the chat box....Love them cicadas. It cool hearing them winding up in unison. Them and those little tinckly glass ball chimes are about the only things I like about hot Japanese summers.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I agree Chris! Don't forget ramune and kakigori! wink

Haha...YES!! I dig me some kakigori...I have a cheap plastic kakigori maker but have been thinking of getting a big metal one.. thumbsup
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
I'm so glad we don't have big alien insects here.

I used to go to Bristol Museum and see all the huge insects from hot countries pinned in cases and think to myself "Jesus Fncking Christ! How do people live when the very air is thick with these monsters?"

Now I know.
Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Do the insects get bigger and even more alien the more south you go in Japan?
No, I don't think so.

I was trying to talk on the phone the other night when I heard a terrible crashing and thumping against the window as if someone was trying to break in. It was a female rhinoceros beetle experiencing a gross navigational error. Every time it crashed against the window, I swore under my breath. The poor girl on the other end of the phone call must have thought I really didn't like her.

I miss the sounds of Japanese summer where we used to live. All the frogs & insects in the rice paddies and add the cicadas and it was very noisy outside but better than the noise of traffic anyday.