I am traveling to japan in January 2012 for 10 days skiing (we are staying around Mt Naeba).

My friend uses a wheelchair and skis in a mono ski.

How accessible are resorts and how familiar with adaptive skiing are people going to be?

We think we will bring her mono with us but might reconsider if there was hire equipment available.

Hi robin

Sounds like you are coming to the region I live in. When you say around Mt Naeba you mean you will be up in Naeba/Kagura, or close-by in Yuzawa town?

Really not sure about what you are asking, though I wouldn't be too sure about hire equipment. Might be best to contact the resort directly and pose the question to the,.

actually it was in Shiga I saw them 2. 1 guy on a chair with a big ski under it and this 1 legged guy with a regular ski snd mini skis attached to the bottom of his poles

There is a small adaptive school in Yuzawa (npo-neige adaptive) though not sure they rent out their gear. Might be worth an ask, though I would imagine you would be better off bringing your own mono if you can transport it. There is also another school in Minakami who might be worth an email.

• 1 year later...

Japan produces many of the best adaptive ski racers in the world and pretty much cleaned up the medal tally last paralympics.

Unfortunately there aren't many adaptive programs in Japan and hiring mono skis will be a challenge.

I would recommend either taking your own over or if you were thinking of upgrading it maybe buying a Nissin mono ski (made in Japan and probably the best sit ski in the world going on world cup results) and taking it home.

On a more positive note the japanese people in resorts will be very helpful and most of the bigger hotels and establishments will be wheelchair friendly although there isn't the same legal requirements to make properties accessible as many other countries, so it would pay to contact the places you were thinking to stay in advance to ensure you pick somewhere accessible. It also shouldn't be too hard to find adaptive ski instructors while over there if needed. Another thing to consider is your transportation to resort if its by bus maybe drop them an e-mail so see how easy getting on and off the bus is. Japanese Rail is exceptional and may be an easier option if changing train multiple times isn't required to get from the airport to resort.

If you do bring your Mono ski with you it maybe worth considering Takubin (parcel delivery service in Japan) and sending it from the airport to resort and back to save carrying it. The Takubin service is cheap and the Japanese take great care of things they are delivering unlike sending things in other countries.

Interesting how they do so well but there aren't many programes.

Does that imply that there's even less programs in other countries, or are the ones here just doing better with them?

The Japanese success in disabled snowsports I believe can be attributed to their education system and the great funding the National Team enjoys. The Japanese have great systems in place to cater for individuals with disablities while being included in the mainstream education system so there isn't the need for separate programs, this theme is carried over a little into snowsports. Japanese children have an amazing work ethic and children with disabilities are actively encouraged to join in all P.E. classes at school and also play games with able bodied children. This gives the Japanese a great talent pool of people with skills that potentially cross over into many sports. Other factors at play maybe the size of their population, the small size of the country and the amazing transportation systems making it easier for large numbers toget to the mountains

Other countries do have great programs, the US has probably some of the best adaptive programs in the world and some of the best adaptive racers. Europe has programs too and also enjoys success on the would stage. You will be pleased to know "BagOfCrisps" that Britain has some great disabled athletes and will maybe bring you home some medals next paralympics!

• 3 weeks later...
The kids, well lots of them, sure do work hard at their club activities here. Always find it wild seeing them going to school in their uniforms on holidays, to do the club stuff.
My kids often go to school for extra curricular stuff after school hours, on weekends and during school holidays... It's not common, but it does happen elsewhere around the world.

Have seen a fair few sit skiers at Thredbo this season. Spotted someone today who I THINK might have been on skis with two sets of bindings - like a tandem ski - I assumed it was a guide and blind skier, but I didn't get a long enough look.

Do they go EVERY DAY, in their school uniforms, Mamabear?
Hmmm..mostly.

If they are attending a school activity, unless they are instructed to wear 'free dress' then, yes.

Usually full formals, if it is sport..then the specific sport uniform.

prefects08.jpg

None Snowjunky..

That's the current leadership group. Yr11 and 12s.

(yes it's a private school, few proper posh but mostly just kids with parents who are committed to pay for the extra stuff they get taught over and above the local public school offerings)

Any hoo that is off topic.

Back to current programming :D

I was checking out some pics of tandem skis

This one looks interesting...

P3184467.JPG