Theres a very very good chance i have a job in rural saitama. Im pretty stoked (i like rural, its peaceful - though looking at the pictures on the web so far makes me think of one thing: huntsman spiders :)).

Its a place called yorii, so its kinda saitama, but pretty far from saitama itself. Its more like gunma i guess. Just wondering where people in the know might head off to if they were living there?

Honestly im kinda stoked. It looks half way to nagano anyway, so weekends are doable no problem if i need to. And a trip to tokyo is under 2000 yen which is nice. And if i do end up with a car now that i can drive, well i can also head to hama and see all my mates. My one sad point is its miles from osaka :'( I <3 osaka :'(

But you cant have everything! whee! So where's going to be fun?

That's still probably closer to Tokyo than it is to the skijo in northern Gunma and Niigata, but you will have a choice of heading north to Minakami/Katashina in Gunma or under the mountain a bit further to Yuzawa. Or branch off to the west, past Karuizawa (yey!) and further into Nagano!

smile

thanks dude, looks like its not really a great place for easy direct access to ski resorts, but at least that means i get to choose every weekend where i feel like going smile

sugadaira is miles away im afraid. I used to live in suzaka so i know smile Arguably it would be easier (if using trains) to hit nozawa or myoko since the trains pretty much dump you pretty near the resorts. I cant even remember if suzaka has a bus going to sugadaira. I always skipped it and went to myoko razz

i never knew that, i always thought it was outr little mountain smile Well, being that its 18kms from suzaka and ueda was 44km should have clued me in a bit.

i never went. I couldnt find info about a bus there from suzaka (and was unreliably as it turns out) informed that no such bus exists. Obviously i couldnt drive at the time so no bus meant no sugadaira. Pity really because all my students apparently went there.

As i say, come the 2009 xmas dump i spent one day at suginohara and decided there and then to buy my season pass. Again, a pity since i maybe got 16 or so days out of it and it also stopped me hitting up shiga and nozawa. I didnt actually go to either of those until i moved to korea smile

• 2 weeks later...

haha, i had the myoko season pass.

Let me compound the slapping by also pointing out that i never went to shiga kogen (im already half way to yudanaka on my train line!) nor nozawa onsen which is about the same length of journey as myoko.

The season pass was a bad idea. smile I had to actually leave the country and live in korea before i visited shiga and nozawa smile

• 4 weeks later...

Been to Manza often back in the day, not in quite a few years tho.

Pretty good snow but not a big place, and with the shinkansen making it so much easier to get up to Shiga/Nozawa/Hakuba/Myoko it hardly seems worth the trip IMHO.

Never skied at Kusatsu. Friend who had a place up there said it was OK but not great for snow (lots of thaw/freeze ice). Couple of fairly long runs, one of them supposedly a wide natural halfpipe. Again, I think you can get to the big Nagano areas just as easily.

Still, both Manza & Kusatsu are famous onsen, and I can testify to the efficacy of the Manza baths after a long day on the snow.

Well, they're close in distance, yes, but quite a drive since you'd have to go all the way down the mountain and back up.

Of course if you're an experienced back country tourer with the right equipment...