I doubt it GN. It seems to me like Japan is monocultural by design. Ethnic cleansing the polite way. A handful of examples in a nation of 120 mil???

From the article.

“They can welcome me as a politician, but not as a leader,” says Tsurunen, who suggests that this may be the reason he has not been tapped for a ministerial post."

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I respect the Japanese position even if I don't agree with it. Every sovereign nation has the right to decide who comes to reside within their borders and what the terms of that arrangement are. It's

I respect the Japanese position even if I don't agree with it. Every sovereign nation has the right to decide who comes to reside within their borders and what the terms of that arrangement are. It's only when it's held up against a western model like the one we live in that it appears racist and discriminatory, to some of us that is.

Personally, I would definitely want to be naturalized into a country that I intended to call my new home for the rest of my life. If you enjoy all the rights and privileges of a country then a sense obligation and commitment would come with it. They go hand in hand to my thinking and extend way beyond the local community level.

• Like 1

Got to say that the Japanese way seems preferable to the mess that the UK finds itself in, which seems to be "Welcome, anyone. No qualifications, no English? Come this way!!!"

Over summer, I don't think I'm exaggerating in saying that almost every waiter, waitress, hotel person, etc in places I visited were foreign. It was almost... alarming.

Then you read about all the Brits on the dole and not working. Not wanting to work. There's something really screwed up there.

yeah Britain is messed up. I'm all for immigration (being an immigrant myself!), but there has to be some modicum of control or else it ends up in the mess that The UK currently finds itself in.....perhaps a happy middle ground between Japan's way and the (broken)open door policy of the UK.

Over summer, I don't think I'm exaggerating in saying that almost every waiter, waitress, hotel person, etc in places I visited were foreign. It was almost... alarming.

So if they hold a British passport are they still considered foreign? I find this fascinating.

Australian is a nationality not a race. There simply is no one race of people called 'Australian'

Japanese is both a nationality and a race.

British ????? You tell me.

"Japanese" is a nationality but they aren't a race of people.......they belong to the same sub-group of humans as other mainland asiatic people.

There is no race of people called the British, French, Australian or Botswanan....these are nationalities.

Ok fair point.

I wasn't thinking in scientific, anthropological terms, more social and political terms and people's perceptions.

Are those long words just a smokescreen to hide the admitting you were wrong bit? ;)

Got to say that the Japanese way seems preferable to the mess that the UK finds itself in, which seems to be "Welcome, anyone. No qualifications, no English? Come this way!!!"

Then you read about all the Brits on the dole and not working. Not wanting to work. There's something really screwed up there.

what's the story there then? Not wanting to work?

That. And the fact that lots of people just don't think it's worth the effort.

They can live nearly as well off the state.

Why work when you can get cash for doing sod all?

Lots of factors there

Overgenerous welfare system from age where communities were strong and not working was shameful, so there was little deliberate unemployment.

Lack of proper non-academic training for young people, leaving many unskilled.

Lack of decent paying jobs for largely unskilled. Death of most manufacturing in UK.

Post 1960s individualism leading to more selfishness (bohemian dole wallahs in bands etc.) and 1970s/80s recessions destroying stigma over being unemployed.

The biggest scam now isn't the dole though. That Sunderland stud isn't on the dole. He's on disability. The never-ending get-more-money and don't-be-in-the-dole-numbers-in-the-paper dole. No-one seems to question of how a physically disabled man is fit enough to get so many women up the duff.

If a disability pension is as easy to get as a disability parking permit then there's really no need to stay on the dole.

It's like a career. Start out small with the basic dole, learn the ropes, get a few extras like hardship payments amd rent assistance then eventually work you way to a disability pension. If your 'disadvantaged' by having the wrong DNA or mentally challenged because your mother didn't feed you breast milk as a baby, then the skys the limit.

Very harsh lot aren't we. :sadface: