Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
hell yeah, I'd probably find a few buyers for the spare AK47's I have lying around the place

I'll take 2....spare banana clips, too. Throw in an RPG and we'll call it an even trade for a goat I have....I'm always being told I'm too generous.. wave
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I respect the Japanese position even if I don't agree with it. Every sovereign nation has the right to decide who comes to reside within their borders and what the terms of that arrangement are. It's

Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
yeah of course you'd need to do the switcherooney with the passports when going through immigration. I've a few mates who do this with their kids passports.

Tubby, That's what most people do with their kids.
We have both passports as they are able to hold dual until they turn 20ish, when the Japanese govt makes em choose which one they want. It's perfectly legal and if we didn't they'd need visa's for the country that they didn't have a passport for! Stuff that!

Yeah I met a guy from Ireland about 8 years ago that had just turned 21 and they were making him choose....but he told them he chose japan but he still kept his Irish passport. I've a Candian mate who is also Japanese, he's been here for about 10 years now, 7 1/2 of them were as Japanese, then 2 1/2 years ago he started a masters at Uni here, found out that foreign students get funding breaks so he went back to Canada for a holiday, he left Japanese and came back Candian! lol

he is UBER confused......he doesn't know what accent he has!! Not Candian or Japanese though, he sunds more Irish or Scouse....actually he adapts to whoever he is talking with, a real Verbal Chameleon

Thurs, he CAN use his chopsticks but at a range of 1.25 inches

• 2 months later...

I am speaking as a Japanese person but I think in many Japanese mind, it is impossible for a 'gaijin' to be 'Japanese'. It is perhaps a concept that people just won't understand.

Even if your nationality is officially changed to Japanese, you'll still be a gaijin in most pretty much everyones minds - gaijin being 'white'/caucasian.

I am speaking as a Japanese person but I think in many Japanese mind, it is impossible for a 'gaijin' to be 'Japanese'. It is perhaps a concept that people just won't understand.

Even if your nationality is officially changed to Japanese, you'll still be a gaijin in most pretty much everyones minds - gaijin being 'white'/caucasian.

What I have come realise is that to be considered 'truly Japanese' you have to

- have gone through the Japanese school system. (even with 2 Japanese parents, if you grew up overseas you are not Japanese - e.g. Kazuo Ichiguro)

- not spent more than a few years outside Japan (e.g. Yoko Ono isn't truly Japanese)

- look Japanese (e.g. 'half' is not Japanese)

In other words, both skin color + values are key.

When we're talking about such an incredibly small amount of foreigners who've become Japanese citizens it's hardly surprising that they wouldn't be considered Japanese regardless of their citizenship. Hardly any different to say the first Chinese who came to Australia in the gold rush years in the 1850's. It took a few generations before they started getting accepted as Australian. Same thing with all new waves of immigration to this country. Now we don't even think twice that people of many different races are Australian. Especially since 25% of Australians were born overseas. Don't know if anything like this will ever happen in Japan though. A very long way off in the future if it ever does that's for sure.

I wonder how a newly naturalised, pale faced, round eyed 'Japanese citizen' would be received at an armed forced recruiting centre.

In times of global conflict. Things like citizenship, residency and naturalisation take on a little more importance than just ceremony.

There is a Finnish guy who became a Japanese citizen and then eventually became a member of the Japanese Diet.

http://en.wikipedia....arutei_Tsurunen

There's also this Canadian born guy who became a city councillor inTsukuba.

http://www.japantoda...ese-officialdom

The people voted for these guys. Somewhat inspiring I reckon to see what can be achieved in terms of acceptance if you do become a Japanese citizen. Another 100 years or so and who knows maybe having foreign born citizens running for public office (and any number of other prominent roles in society) may become the norm! ;)