Well I have as higher status in Japan as I can get without actually becoming Japanese, and I have no problem with that at all, apart from voting, which I anyway don't do in my home country, and being able to fit onto the Japanese Koseki, which again makes no difference to me, can't see why it would be worth the time to change, as when I want to return to my own country, I would then be treated like a foreigner.

Even if I changed to Japanese nationality I would still be considered foreign, when people see my face it would be very difficult to convince them that I am in fact Japanese.

I am though very commited to Japan, and will most likely spend the rest of my life here.

That is my opinion on the situation, but at the end of the day we are all different and have different views on things!

It is up to the individual to ultimately decide what is best!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I respect the Japanese position even if I don't agree with it. Every sovereign nation has the right to decide who comes to reside within their borders and what the terms of that arrangement are. It's

I would actually like to be able to vote. (And don't seem to have much interest any more in politics back in the Old Country.)

3/11 has also perhaps had some influence on cementing the feeling that this is home, this is where I fight and die.

But, haven't paid a visit to æ³•å‹™çœ yet.

Originally Posted By: Ocean11
Powerful in what way specifically? That's just an empty expression. I participate in everything my neighbours do except voting. Some of my neighbours even seem to think I have citizenship already. Perhaps they're respecting me for that, all unaware of how wrong they are?

Look I have no idea why you seem to be getting defensive about this. I'm not saying you're a lesser person for not having citizenship or anything. It just seems somewhat natural to me that if you have decided to live out the remainder of your days in any country you would want to become a citizen of that country so that you have the ability to engage in all aspects of that society on a level footing with those native to it. It may not seem natural to you, that's fine.
I believe just like through my experience of getting married the experience of a ceremony to become a citizen would have powerful symbolic effect not only on those becoming citizens but also those around them.
Specifically in what way is it powerful? Well to me it seems obvious, just like with marriage that such ceremonies imply a committment. They usually involve you speak out some sort of vows/pledge as well. Doing such things in front of witnessnes has power beyond just living your life and doing nothing regardless of how committed you feel on the inside. Of course just like not having a marriage certificate doesn't mean you can't be in a committed relationship not having citizenship doesn't mean you can't be committed to Japan. But with citizenship or marraige I think at least symbolically that committment is much more obvious.

I think it would be interesting if instead of just a handful of applications each year there were thousands. Can't tell me that wouldn't be symbolic and be a pretty big issue politically!
Originally Posted By: snowdude

That is my opinion on the situation, but at the end of the day we are all different and have different views on things!
It is up to the individual to ultimately decide what is best!

at the end of the day, I go to bed

OK so say I wanted to 'become Japanese', became Japanese, and then wanted to revert back to being what I was. Can that be done?

It all seems silly to me. You are who you are. Unless you need those 'rights' that come with 'being Japanese', I can't see why I would want to. And as others have said, Japanese people would snigger and laugh in your face, being a gaijin and all....

ok, so all this talk has got me thinking......if you HAD to become Japaese and they MADE you change your name to a Japanese name, what would it be?

Mines would be TUBBIO BEAVERO-SHIMASUSURU (I'd have to drop the -inho on account of renouncing my Brazilian Citizenship)

Originally Posted By: Go Native

Look I have no idea why you seem to be getting defensive about this.

LOL. I'm just stating facts. The 'natural' thing in this case is to go with the flow instead of jumping through unnecessarily complicated and degrading hoops.

And besides, I'm not committed to any country. Why is commitment to a country even necessary? I might want to live in Iran one day.

Originally Posted By: Go Native

I think it would be interesting if instead of just a handful of applications each year there were thousands. Can't tell me that wouldn't be symbolic and be a pretty big issue politically!

Dream on. Dreaming can be very 'powerful' too. It would be more symbolic and a big issue politically if people renounced their nationality en masse.
Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough
And as others have said, Japanese people would snigger and laugh in your face, being a gaijin and all....

That might be a realistic view of what can happen, but it is wrong. Some people who are Japanese by birth do not "look Japanese", some of them not even remotely. Do they deserve the same treatment? Of course not, so the only conclusion is that any sniggering or laughing is repugnant. Things don't get better by letting the #*+# win.

The encouragement of people to take "Japanese" names doesn't help either. This all feeds into a mistaken view of who the Japanese are and where they have come from. Its part of the ideology that drove Japan into war against both Korea and China.
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
ok, so all this talk has got me thinking......if you HAD to become Japaese and they MADE you change your name to a Japanese name, what would it be?

I've always thought Asahara Shoko has a nice ring to it, so I'd opt for that. I think it shows a stronger commitment to throw away one's old persona and adopt a fully Japanese name instead of some katakana bastardization of a foreign moniker.

pie-eater, I don't think Bond actually became Japanese.

He was just pretending so he could infiltrate Dr Evil's volcano.

But he certainly convinced the locals and they didn't laugh at all.

And that was back in the 60's too.

Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough
Fears? Decisions?

rollabout

What fears and decisions might they be?

confused

Fear: someone might laugh at me
Decision: not to take citizenship

If being made fun of by others is a reason to hold you back from taking citizenship then you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Fear: I have no fear of anyone laughing at me.

Decision: I am simply not interested in becoming Japanese.

So, to sum up if you still ain't got it:

No fear.

No decision.

"I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so"

Heard that old Vapours song on accuradio yesterday...lol

Like some of you I have permanent residence status. I've considered albeit only briefly about becoming a citizen, but nah....always seemed similar to buying a 747 just to get the free bag of peanuts.