I've been frustrated with the crappy attempts at Indian food, specifically the snacks, that are available in Japan, so I decided to make some of my favourite ones myself, Onion Bhajis....well it was Onion and Red pepper Bhajis, they were LUSH!! I ate them with some Chicken madras and washed down with Ice cold Sapporo

P7110183.jpg

There's also a place next to Ueno Station that does a great Samosa, really big with a great chilli sauce for about 300 yen IIRC.

Anyone else take the plunge and try to make their favourite Indian (or other) food that isn't done well over here?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need as national azabu is just round the corner. wink

Or I can go to T-side in Kamakura, Sitar in Yokohama or a new curry place in Futamatagawa.

I have made tandoori chicken, saag aloo and also bombay potato at home, along with raita and onion salad too. naan bread is pretty easy too.

T-side....where is that? Good stuff is it? There is an ok place in Fujisawa, curries are good but the snacks are crap. Their naan bread is good though

Mooneys? Wheres that? I go to Sea Mumbai out the North exit of the station, beside the main Post Office. Like I said, good for curries and naan but crap for starters etc. The one opposite Ito Yokado is crud, Maharajah's is ok but not great and the other North exit one isn't worth the breath of walking up the stairs smile

I'll def have to try out this place in Kamakura yummy

its really easy, whip up a batch of thick batter, I only used flour and water, add whatever spice you want....I used curry powder, cumin powder a bit of paprika, a bit of cinnamon and a spoonful of Tandoori paste. Chop the onion and red pepper up into thick strips, mix into the batter. Make sure that the onion and pepper is thickly coated with batter, use a ladel or a spoon (depending on how big you want them) and then drop them into the hot pan of oil. The recipe I looked at online mentioned using mustard oil for best results but I just used canola oil

I had my first UK curry in years when I went back in the summer, and although it was imperative that I wake up refreshed the next morning, I didn't get a wink of sleep from going to the toilet and rearranging the bed covers when the farts kept blowing them off.

Originally Posted By: brit-gob
How is your "morning after" going, Tubby?

actually pretty wind-free....I'm quite surprised! There were a few spicy flavoured drafts going about before bed last night though! lol

I cgeated with the curry and used Madras sauce from Tesco's Finest Range.....it was damn fine! smile

Looks very good Tubby! Is that sauce from the Tescos you've talked about in Japan? If so, what's the damage?

You can get a couple of similar things in the Kaldi import shops that are in lots of shopping malls, but about 550 yen a bottle.

I brought back a bottle of lime pickle this time. I've never seen it in Japan. Couldn't find it online either.

Yeah the sauce comes from my local Tesco Supermarket in Japan. Can't remember how much but I think it was around 3-400 yen. Large can of baked beans is 200 yen.

There is also Korma and Tikka Masala, but this Madras is quite mild actually. Add a healthy dollop of plain yoghurt to cool it if you can't find the other curries thumbsup