How do you handle a situation like this.

We have booked our holiday and 5 of or dear friends are coming. NOW we are booked and have hired a car for road trips 2 other UNWELCOMED people have invited themselves along.

They inquired in roundabout ways where we were staying - when we were going and then went and booked.

They came with us before and totally ruined our holiday HENCE we didn't asked them this time. The wife hated Japan - hated the food - didn't ski - hated the cold.

Do I just come straight out and tell them their not welcome or just hit the bottle and take sedatives the whole time!!! clap

Are they friends and you value their ongoing friendship? If yes, you'll want to be tactful. If not, tell them they're not welcome. You spend a lot of time and money organising trips like this, you want to make sure you enjoy them.

Are they close to some of the friends you do want along?

If so, then yes you have a problem, and you may have to make a hard decision about those friends vs your enjoyment of the trip.

If not, just ignore them, leave them behind, leave them out of dinner rsrvs, etc. And if they start hinting they want to join up, on the mountain or wherever, just say no. (It helps if you're more accomplished on skis/board and able to just disappear!)

From what you say they do not seem to have cottoned on that you don't want them with you. That is a problem. You might just have to be more forthcoming on that.

Awkward huh?!

It is easy if you are going just yourselves as you can say you want a 'family' holiday only and will go with friends another time. Can you maybe say that you have made arrangements with a different group of friends so you doubt you will be able to catch up all that often? Give them the hint? Or do the other friends know them too.

I have gone the 'just our nuclear family and trying somewhere new' routine to get some space before...

Phone them up and tell them that when you heard what they'd done, you cancelled your trip and now you're going to sue them for the cancellation fee and emotional distress. Tell them that you're urging your friends to do the same. That way they'll understand that you've excluded them from the category 'friend' and they'll not to try to follow you on your holiday again.

Also, this isn't really political correctness, it's more a question of savoir-faire. These people that you're dealing with don't seem to have much of it, so you'll have to deal them quite a striking and unmistakable snub.

If she doesn´t ski and hates Japanese food, you don´t have a problem.

I mean, that give you guys a solution.

Just go ski. You are 5 people. No other can fit in the car.

Go eat Japanese. Tell her you are all there to enjoy the food and it´s part of your trip, not going to change that just because of one person. Tell her that she is welcome to tag along, but put up and shut up so she doesn´t make the food taste bad. She is co-incidentally there, right? Just tell her they are not part of your group´s whole plan. - but can meet in a pub or something.

Agree that this is not political correctness, that's all about making boxing gyms install ramps for wheelchairs and spending public money on reprinting stuff because it says "fireman" and not "firefighter".

When you say "they" wanted to come, does that mean the lady who hated it too? If it were just the bloke dragging her along, I could understand it more. Wanting to repeat a holiday she disliked makes her sound like a simple hanger-on.

Or you just deal with them on the trip with the benefit of the hindsight from the first.

Righto people...breakfast is every man for himself, we will be on the first lift at 8.30am and shall be hitting an intermediate warm up run, before progressing to the advanced slopes until lunch. Lunch will be at (insert name here) hut - somewhere only accessible via ski/board. If you don't feel up to it we will meet for you for a drink at x bar at 7pm before Mr Snowhunter and I leave at 8pm for our intimate dinner for two booking. biggrin

Okay an update - they have booked into the same accomodation as us (as we always stay there) and they are booked for the same length of time as us eyes

Yes she is a hannger on wife. He is actually fine.

I thank you all for your awesome advise and I am going to take on a little of everyone's advise. Definately eating Japanese every night. Will be taking off as soon as I get off the lifts. Yes definately will only be able to fit 5 people in the car. AND YOU KNOW WHAT if worst comes to worst a couple of Sake's and GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!!! lol

She really should take up skiing.

She would be a happier person.

Why can´t grown up people do something a 5 year old can do ..

Okay, not all 5 year olds like skiing, but if everyone else is doing it and you are the only one out and just been a dag ...

Yeah good luck with that.

Always a difficult kind of situation.

But a bit of uncomfortable-ness is inevitable sometime down the line if things aren't going to be spoiled.

Originally Posted By: Wizz
Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
The wife hated Japan - hated the food - didn't ski - hated the cold.

Why is she going again? confused

Pressure from the partner?
Because when she got back she loved the attention from people "ooohh...you skied Japan...how exotic.." ?
Because she actually enjoyed herself but is one of those whiny glass half empty type of people...?
Or a combination of all of the above?