Water insect makes record noise with penis

I thought this needed it's own thread

Quote:
A tiny water boatman is the loudest animal on Earth relative to its body size, a study has revealed.

Scientists recorded the aquatic animal "singing" at up to 99.2 decibels, the equivalent of listening to a loud orchestra play while sitting in the front row.

The insect makes the sound by rubbing its penis against its abdomen in a process known as "stridulation".

Researchers say the song is a courtship display performed to attract a mate.

Micronecta scholtzi are freshwater insects measuring just 2mm that are common across Europe.

Originally Posted By: Ocean11
I find that swinging my tackle up so it smacks me in the head makes a much louder sound that stridulation. It does draw a lot of attention from the ladies too.

Show off....Damn, I just lost my "stride"... slap
Originally Posted By: M9.0
I thought this needed it's own thread

Quote:
A tiny water boatman is the loudest animal on Earth relative to its body size, a study has revealed.

Scientists recorded the aquatic animal "singing" at up to 99.2 decibels, the equivalent of listening to a loud orchestra play while sitting in the front row.

The insect makes the sound by rubbing its penis against its abdomen in a process known as "stridulation".

Researchers say the song is a courtship display performed to attract a mate.

Micronecta scholtzi are freshwater insects measuring just 2mm that are common across Europe.

So is that boatman a seaman?