I'm rather concerned that my home WMD program might be discovered by some busybody with their new Geiger counter. I'll have to be ready with some of my conventional weapons if I hear anybody come beep-beep-beeping up the cliffs that surround our home.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You sure it's not Mt Granview?   But.. seriously.. all rather worrying isn't it. My dome idea might not have been practical but why is there not a building covering that thing up?

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking about that the other day.

A professional video of Marco Kaltofen's presentation to the American Public Health Association was recently made available to Fairewinds. Kaltofen states that hot particles are contaminating portions of northern Japan. He also states that auto air filters from Fukushima, that he tested in his Massachusetts laboratory, are so radioactive that they have to be disposed of in a buried radioactive waste disposal site in the US. Additionally, he expresses concerns for the mechanics who work on cars in Fukushima Prefecture.

http://vimeo.com/33353060

• 5 months later...

Arnie still very worried about Unit 4.

( Don't forget his book! ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnxJ1E6i24

Unit 4 has always been my biggest concern. If you watched our website on the very first week of the accident I was saying that if Unit 4 were to catch fire, you would have to evacuate Tokyo. As a matter of fact the book that we wrote talks about that a lot. It is really important and it remains the biggest concern that I have about the Fukushima site. Unit 4 has more fuel in it than any of the other units in the complex, but more importantly it has the most recently used nuclear fuel. And all of that fuel is outside of the containment. So that would make it dangerous enough. Except that also, of course, Unit 4 has had a series of explosions and is weakened structurally. Before it might have withstood a 7.5 earthquake. I believe that the structural damage to Unit 4 is so great that if there is a 7.5 earthquake, it will not withstand it.

Here is what would happen if Unit 4 were to crack and the water were to drain out of the nuclear fuel pool. The fuel is hot enough that it needs to be water-cooled. If air is all there is cooling the fuel, it will burn. It will burn the zircaloy cladding on the fuel, (and) will react with the oxygen to create a fire. And it is a fire that once it starts, cannot be put out by water. Water would make it worse. So the nuclear fuel would have to burn completely before the fire would ever go out.

In the process, all that radiation would go up into the atmosphere and blow all over Japan and all over the world.

There is as much cesium in the fuel pool at Unit 4 as there was in all of the atomic bombs dropped in all of the tests in the 1940's, the 1950's, the 1960's, and into the 1970's. All of the above ground testing has less cesium in it than is in the reactor pool at Fukushima 4 right now. So it is a grave situation. I don't believe that the Japanese Government is moving fast enough. If there is no earthquake, the plan to remove the fuel slowly is going to be adequate. But we cannot wait on Mother Nature. We have to quickly move that fuel out of that pool and onto the ground. The key here is quickly. The Japanese Government finally just this month came up with a plan to build a building around the fuel pool building and begin removing the fuel in 2013 or 2014.

Conditions at the plant aren't featured very often these days. Nuclear-related headlines at the moment are mostly about whether and when to restart any of the nuclear power plants in the country, particularly Ooi in Fukui, which serves the region facing the worst expected shortages this summer.

Yikes.

Who knows what to believe? Anyone?

Tepco!

"Tepco analysis shows the building could survive forces equivalent to those that shook the site during the March 11 quake, Mr. Nakatsuka said."

I feel safer now after that! :thumbsup:

You sure it's not Mt Granview? ;)

But.. seriously.. all rather worrying isn't it. My dome idea might not have been practical but why is there not a building covering that thing up?

• Like 1
"Soil in Tokyo would be considered nuclear waste in the US", according to Arnie in the above.

Someone, other than Arnie, tell me... is that bullshit?

I'm glad he cleared the issue up!! Apparently, I read, that idiots who make YouTube videos about stuff they apparently have no idea about, just simply, apparently talk out of their ass.....and if its true, then that's a great big dirty bomb!! It shouldn't affect us here in Japan and Antarctica, but those poor people in Canada have to listen to him some more!! :lol: