Thats not getting out is it. That's moving in Japan.

Although I suppose "getting out of Fukushima" is a different thing from the rest of us in other parts of northern Japan....

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You sure it's not Mt Granview?   But.. seriously.. all rather worrying isn't it. My dome idea might not have been practical but why is there not a building covering that thing up?

Ya, where are/were you in Fukushima? Congrats on getting out and getting some peace of mind. Going back to Hokkaido is always an option for us, too.

Thanks Chriselle. I'm in a town near Shirakawa (the south and about in the middle of Fukushima) 72kms away. Radiation levels not too bad here, 0.32 i think today. Not as bad as major areas like Koriyama or Fukushima.

But one thing to remember is that 0.32 is at the car park of the city hall at a height of 1 metre. You go to a park or somewhere with dirt/grass and the level will be about 0.5-0.6. Also, the closer you go to the ground the higher the level gets. An area where water runs to would be even higher. All the kind of places kids love to play in...

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Zerostar, you saying that it is "worse than we are being told"?

I'm no expert on the effects of radiation on people but the levels they list on the news are just one concentrated area above a concrete surface. You move around and and the level changes.
With the new evacuation orders I heard they are gonna check the levels house by house cause it differs so much. There are some hot spot apparently.
At my town they have started lending out geiger counters. Wish i could have had a play with one..

Right here? People are a little worried but they have fallen into the trap of comparing. People think here isn't as bad as area A or B so we will be okay. Kids are playing outside, no school grounds have had their soil replaced, not much really being done here. Areas like Koriyama and Fukushima are taking things a lot more seriously. I have a friend in Koriyama who won't let his kids outside to play and went to Niigata the other day so they could get some fresh air. He will spend the summer hols in England with his family to get away from it for a while. But unfortunately this problem isn't going to going away by next year. It's gonna be a worry for a good while.

Well congrats on the move to Hokkaido, even if it is because of bad circumstances. I think if I lived up there I'd be thinking the same thing, lets get out of Dodge.

Originally Posted By: Ocean11
Originally Posted By: soubriquet
The probability is very low, but we don't know it, and it can't be calculated.

Life isn't without risk.

Well the probability of what actually happened wasn't taken into account in the design of Fukushima, but nevertheless it happened. And indeed, the probability of further major earthquakes happening is quite high, if the historical record is anything to go by.

This Arnie chap isn't to be trusted as an authority at all, but inasmuch as his message is "it ain't over yet", you must concede, he does have point.

The outcome of the Fukushima thing seems to be hinging on things like workmen making sure they've got their valve handles on the right way. But seeing as Japanese valve handles have markings that are as hard to tell apart as space invaders with their wings up and their wings down, there are going to be mistakes. There will be 'industrial accidents', and nuclear proponents are going to say that they've got nothing to do with radiation. But that won't be strictly true either, just as what Arnie is saying isn't strictly true.

What happens if one of the guys working in Fukushima eats deadly mutant bacteria and has to take a shit right there and everybody starts puking like in Jackass...?

I was reading this all concerned until I read that last bit.
lol

Is he worth listening to?

Listening to that latest Arnie Gundersen I was veryshocked

I was just checking my LandCruiser's big air filter yesterday...maybe I should have been wearing gloves...probably got a good dose of dem there "hot" particles. doh