Hey folks

I'll be moving to Tokyo before next winter and so will hopefully be able to get some good day trips in. I know a little about Yuzawa but heard about Hunter Mountain as well.

Anyone here been there? Good day trip or is Yuzawa the better option?

Good to be here. Read for a year or so every so often. Plunge now taken.

wave

I would say try and go on a weekday if possible.

I know that applies to most places in terms of crowds but as this is a popular day trip from Tokyo it can get especially busy on weekends and be close to empty weekdays.

Its in Tochigi, right? Looking at the map, it isn't very far as the crow flies from the Fukushima coast and the Nuke Plant....about 95kms as the crow flies according to mapmyride

Looking at the last radiation map link on this page:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/japan-tohoku-earthquake/radiation-concerns.html

One can zoom in on Hunter Mtn and environs. No readings reported at the ski area itself, but nearby locations in the mountains seem to range from 0.15-0.25 uSv/h. So maybe the ski area is somewhere in that range.

There does seem to be a bit of a hot spot in Nasu-Shiobara-shi, on the other side of the range of hills from Hunter Mtn., with some schools and daycare centers near the base of the hills showing around 1 uSv/h. Perhaps, as is thought to have happened in Shizuoka, the hills there facing the power plant caught particulates that were being carried away from the plant, and they washed down the hillsides.

(Warning: Amateur speculation on display.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to live about 45 mins drive from there and had many a good day. It gets busy weekends but weekdays it is quiet and you can really explore. Got a few tips if anyone interested.

Can't wait to get back to Japan in November.