It's been suggested there's interest in some Japan snowsports ancient history. I began my skiing career here in March 1980, and I believe there are a few around who go back even further, and have wider experience. So if you have questions about what it was like back in the day, here's a place for them.

FWIW, my first day of skiing was at the now Yuzawa Park. I fell down 13,274 times, learned to stop at the base of the lift by crashing into the hut (a technique I then perfected through diligent practice over the next several weekends) and became known as the Doke Doke Gaijin for my screamed warnings to those downhill who didn't realize I had no idea how to turn the damn things.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much the same as now, but no Gala, Naspa or Kandatsu, and what's now Maiko Korakuen was smaller, no gondola and no bowl up at the top.

I think Hakkaisan was just a small place with a lift or two until they built the ropeway there in mid-80s. Iwappara had a lift to the top, but no gondola and none of that terrain skier's left from the top lift was open yet. Naeba and Kagura were completely separate, no Tashiro and obviously no Dragondola (stupid name!). Naeba was a bit smaller, without those lifts/runs over by the Dragondola (stupid name!) station.

Sadly Iwappara has gone back to not having a gondola, though it still stands there.

Always interested to hear stories of the crowds and busy stuff.

When did SJ Andrew turn up, 1993-4 or something? Not quite as far back as you Mr Jim!

• SnowJapan Admin

I arrived in 1992, so DiGriz has 12 years over me!

I used to live very close to Yuzawa IC and people going back home from places like Yuzawa Park, Iwappara, Yuzawa Nakazato and that area used our road to get back to the IC and Route 17. Some of the queues down the road were just madness - not moving for literally hours on end, and chocca from late Sunday morning. Almost hard to believe now.

Originally Posted By: DiGriz
I think Hakkaisan was just a small place with a lift or two until they built the ropeway there in mid-80s.

Wasn't it a Gondola originally, they changed it to a ropeway about 10 years ago?

Sanjo, yes it was a gondola initially, as was Furano on the new side. Not sure what the advantage was in switching to ropeways, possibly savings in terms of maintenance, etc.

GN, those days may come back next season if the radiation fear keeps overseas visitors away.

I would guess the Ropeway moves less. Gondolas always on the move. Ropeways once every 20 mins in the off season.

That Ropeway at Hakkai certainly zips up there fast!

• SnowJapan Admin

Once waited for an hour for the Kagura quad. That was way back in 1992. Wasn't much of a fun day spent more time lining up than skiing.

30-45 mins for a pair at any of the main places over a weekend was pretty commonplace if my memory serves.

Yeah! Kai-su-ken.

Back in those days, the day ticket got changed to sticky tape ribbon, which you attatched to your ski pole.

Still, as a Japanese youngsta, we got given left over tickets and day tickets from the Onichan/Ojisan. No problems there.

Move, Move! (or Look Out, or Get Out of the Way, or Make Way...). Screamed loudly and repeatedly when careening down the bunny slope, it can help avert crashes (or cause others who may be equally incompetent to fall or crash into each other while trying to heed the warning).

oops naughty doh ashamed rollabout

The stories that I heard were:

*that he crashes into the (lifties´s)hut to stop.

*that he actually took out a lift attendant

*they (liftie)piled up snow barricade for him to crash into

*that a girl ended up crashing into him and they got married

*he is a yank

*a pom

*it snows after he appears

*it´s a bluebird day when he appears

etc etc ...