Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
What exactly is the "countryside"?

Different things to different people but....

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Around here, people say they live in the countryside (inaka) but its still a city of 200,000.

.... not that!!

wink

"What exactly is the "countryside"?"

Good question. Oishida has a population of about 10,000, but is the administrative area and includes a number of villages. The town population would be a little more than half that, I guess. It's not the same as living out in a farmhouse in Oz or the UK (done that). It's definitely a country town though. To get to work in our twin town Obanazawa, I have to go past rice and watermelon fields. Lots of watermelons.

I live in the country and always have. I LOVE IT!!!

We have 10 acres and in the morning I look out my window to see kangaroo's, native birds and my horses. we have 3 dogs that have the run of the property. I like not having neighbours right at my fence line.

Mr Snowhunter loves it because he can play video games and music at night with the stereo on full boar and not annoy anyone.

Nothing better than living in the country.

You can live in the country setting but still it can be a suburb.

Nice to have at least a few acres and not see and hear what the neibours are doing. I miss the taste of rainwater. Waking up to nature, birds ...

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
I live in the country and always have. I LOVE IT!!!

We have 10 acres and in the morning I look out my window to see kangaroo's, native birds and my horses. we have 3 dogs that have the run of the property. I like not having neighbours right at my fence line.

Mr Snowhunter loves it because he can play video games and music at night with the stereo on full boar and not annoy anyone.

Nothing better than living in the country.

That....sounds....really nice!! Funny how things change. I dreamt of owning a house on the beach. Now that I do...meh...next.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Originally Posted By: snowdude
Fairly countryside where I am here as I am in the mountains north of Kofu, but have to say it was way to humid for me today. Although can be hot here in June usually zero humidity until about the first week of July, then it is humid during the day through to end of August.
Nice outside now, but was punishing outside today.
I too could not go back to living in a big city, I love the countryside to much, plus can't do farming in the middle of a concrete jungle.

Isn't Kofu supposed to be one of the hottest places in Japan? I seem to recall them saying that on tv sometimes.

Yes Kofu is supposed to be one of the hottest areas in Japan, and hot it is very hot some days, but humidity levels are much lower than some other areas such as the Kanto plain. It is usually not humid here much at night even though quite a few of the days are humid during July and Aug, we get a mixture of either burning dry heat with no humidity or stuffy not so hot but very humid days.
I think because it is a basin climate the sun feels like it is closer and hotter than it really is. Because kofu is surrounded by mountains the heat gets trapped in during the day making it feel very hot.

I spent a July on the Kanto plains once (in Isesaki). It was just crazy hot and humid. My wife and I lasted there only 5 weeks before we quit our jobs and escaped up to Hokkaido. Oh what a relief it was when we got to Niseko (a relief to escape the heat and english teaching! wink ). The daytime highs weren't as warm as the overnight lows down on the Kanto plains. It was so humid down there that in the evening as the temp got down near 30 degrees fog would form. Fog at 30 degrees! Crazy stuff...

I live close to the city of Sanjo so it's not really countryside. Still not big built up city though and I live in a quiet neighbourood. Nice place, and close to Niigata city about 30 mins drive in.

It's days and weeks like these that I just want to get out of the city and live a quiet life in the countryside.

Been out and about in Tokyo today. Hot and sweaty and too many people. Not fun.