• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think your money goes further in the UK though as things are a bit cheaper....for example a can of coke is around 60p which is around 90 cents, but AFAICR a can of coke was about $1.20....a pint of

I'd be interested too. Though wonder if I can living here, do I need a closeby branch.

• 4 weeks later...

the yen is kicking the wons ass at the moment :| Bad for me since i just bit the bullet (probably at its peak) and switched out 5 million won for 350,000 yen. Ive still got 2-3 million left to change over (not including my severance bonus (about 1.8mill), my final months wage(about 1.3mill), my deposit (600,000won), and the sale of my airobic, quiver killer and freebord (650k). So hopefully it might push me slightly above the 6-700,000 mark for japan next week smile

I just need the won to rally a bit then it can do whatever the hell it likes razz

And, with all the crap around in the US, why is the AUD doing so poorly? Surely the strong position Aus is in vis-a vis the US and AUD should be going gang-busters! But it ain't!

Me no unnerstand too! wakaranai

Repatriation of funds JA, or maybe going to gold, more carry trade shenanigans and suspected lowering of our interest rates. 'Safer harbours' for the wary I suspect.

I had trouble getting my head around it also JA.

But apparently heaps of variables - NONE of them to do with our economy going good or bad.

Things like foreign buyers of the AUD to invest here because our interest is higher - falling rates, or higher interest elsewhere...they pull out sell off and bail (AUD falls again)

For once we came out a little ahead - we bought some yen at 84c and decided to wait and get the rest closer to the trip in case it went up. So at worst we will have some yen at a good price. We also paid for our accomodation before the Yen dropped. Phew friend

I am still hoping the rates will swing back more in favour of the AUD, else my budget will be very tight, should be doable still though, having already booked for Furano and Rusutsu in Jan, I will just have to do a bit of extra overtime between now and then if the rates don't improve. I would be absolutely gutted if I had to cancel our trip.

God! That is the LAST thing Japan needs!

The feeling I am getting around here is that people who were cautious and possibly not going to go this season after the disaster, are now getting close to booking.

If the exchange rate continues to favour the Aussie (and I expect the same for other currencies/nations) then there could be a decent season with later than usual bookings rushes. However if the rates tank, and people decide NOT to travel - wow, another harsh blow for Japan!

I wonder how much of the international snow sports tourist yen is seen by businesses that actually reinvest that money back into Japan's economy, and what percentage ends up off shore due to foreign owned interests?

Originally Posted By: sand
I wonder how much of the international snow sports tourist yen is seen by businesses that actually reinvest that money back into Japan's economy, and what percentage ends up off shore due to foreign owned interests?

I guess the main one would be for people to not book through overseas-based/registered agents. Very little if any of their cut will go into Japan itself. Book direct or through companies licensed and paid up as travel agents in Japan.
Originally Posted By: sand

Personally I don't think it matters that much. Japan needs investment to stimulate the economy and jobs growth. It shouldn't really matter where that investment comes from. Even companies that send money back out of Japan create jobs and pay taxes. Bringing in more tourists to a region generally helps the region as a whole as well, reinvigourating local businesses and creating more local jobs. Just because something is foreign owned doesn't mean there won't be plenty of beneficial flow on effects for the local economy.