• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think your money goes further in the UK though as things are a bit cheaper....for example a can of coke is around 60p which is around 90 cents, but AFAICR a can of coke was about $1.20....a pint of

I'd be interested too. Though wonder if I can living here, do I need a closeby branch.

I've always wondered why the Brits worried so much about the exchange rate when you always seemed to get so much more yen per pound than we Aussies get per dollar. I guessed it must have to do with average salaries in the two countries and there is quite a difference it seems. From a quick search it appears the average full-time salary for a male in the UK is 30,687 pounds which on current exchange rates is around 48,500 Aus dollars. In Aus at the moment the average full-time salary for a male is a bit over $72,000!

I think your money goes further in the UK though as things are a bit cheaper....for example a can of coke is around 60p which is around 90 cents, but AFAICR a can of coke was about $1.20....a pint of beer in the UK will cost about 3.50 ($5.50) and although you'd pay the roughly the same for a beer, its a smaller 375ml beer. Bread was about $4 which is about 2.50 in pounds, but you can get a loaf of bread for about 1.30 on average and sometimes a lot cheaper.

So while comparative salaries appear higher in Oz, it seems that you get more for your money in the UK. This is only on basic items, I found meat to be cheap in Oz and I'm sure there are some others that are cheaper in one than the other

• Like 1

Yeah cost of living in the UK, from what I remember, is cheaper in general than other countries say in Europe; however, thinking about it, what it probably is that people want more bang for their buck when they go overseas.

Just FWIW, The Economist's Big Mac Index as of July 25, based on 4.07 in the U.S., had the pound at 3.89 and the Aussie at 4.94. On the raw index the pound was very slightly undervalued, very slightly overvalued when adjusted for GDP/person. The Aussie is very slightly overvalued on an adjusted basis, slightly overvalued on the raw index.

Interestingly, the yen was at 4.08, basically flat against the dollar on the raw index, with a tiny overvalue when adjusted.

So while comparative salaries appear higher in Oz, it seems that you get more for your money in the UK. This is only on basic items, I found meat to be cheap in Oz and I'm sure there are some others that are cheaper in one than the other

Nah nothing much is cheap in Aus anymore...

Certainly a hell of a lot more expensive to live here than what it was in Kutchan! (we do earn a lot more though)

Aussie money has gone from 86 to 73 in about two months. Bad news for Niseko, Hakuba, Nozawa, etc. It puts up prices by 15%.

In purely selfish terms, if it keeps falling, I might take the kids to Oz on holiday.

Its letting abit scary at the moment glad we where able to pay for most of our trip when the Aus $ was at 85 cents.I remember back in 2009 the we started planning our trip the $ was at 95 cents and by the time we got to Japan it had dropped to 52 cent's that hurt hope it wont happen again. :sadface:

Its letting abit scary at the moment glad we where able to pay for most of our trip when the Aus $ was at 85 cents.I remember back in 2009 the we started planning our trip the $ was at 95 cents and by the time we got to Japan it had dropped to 52 cent's that hurt hope it wont happen again. :sadface:

You did well Roscoe. I paid for my accomm in Myoko this week at AU73 cents. The rest of the accomm is pay on arrival so hope it does not drop too far. When the reserve bank starts talking about slowing economy & interest rate cuts that seem to drive it down.

I now am thinking of buying my travelling Yen sooner rather than later. Cheers to Lynn & the Rosco-ets

You did well Roscoe. I paid for my accomm in Myoko this week at AU73 cents. The rest of the accomm is pay on arrival so hope it does not drop too far. When the reserve bank starts talking about slowing economy & interest rate cuts that seem to drive it down.

I now am thinking of buying my travelling Yen sooner rather than later. Cheers to Lynn & the Rosco-ets

Yes john trying to save up for some spending $ now bit hard to do with every thing local getting dearer all the time be worth it when we get to Japan.Have some new powder ski's comming from the USA great price will read up and post a picture when they arrive not sure if I can say the company but they had heap's info and very easy to deal with. :cheers:

• SnowJapan Admin

Can I just address this while I read it as someone else said something similar recently......

"Not sure if I can say the company".

What's with that? I can't see that being an issue, as long as it's not links, plug-like sounding or taking advantage.

And if you want to post something and you think it's borderline..... why not ask us? There's a contact link at the top right of every single page of the Forums. Very easy to contact us and we will usually get back to people very quickly.

Sadly, one or two noisy people take offense at us not allowing things that ARE plugs (or subsequently getting angry because we don't allow them to do exactly as they want to), and then go exaggerating about the situation and bad-mouthing us so that other people get the wrong impression.

Just wanted to level the field a bit on that point.

Thanks

:friend: