• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think your money goes further in the UK though as things are a bit cheaper....for example a can of coke is around 60p which is around 90 cents, but AFAICR a can of coke was about $1.20....a pint of

I'd be interested too. Though wonder if I can living here, do I need a closeby branch.

I don't understand why the yen hasn't collapsed, or at least become weaker, because of March 11th and all. Not that I have any idea about how all these things work anyway but..

Originally Posted By: r45
I don't understand why the yen hasn't collapsed, or at least become weaker, because of March 11th and all. Not that I have any idea about how all these things work anyway but..

Apparently "Carry trade" and repatriation of funds is the reason.

Just reading some forecasts that it will weaken Sept-Oct before strengthening again early 2012 (vs USD that is).
wakaranai

Never been to Japan now but I hear it is bad and has been for the last few years. Is it true it was like 30-40% better for visitors to Japan 10, 20 years back?

It's about 78-79 Yen to the $ here for us Americanos. When I first got here in '06 it was about 120 to the $, or more (can't remember exactly)

Sure does hurt to go out, but wtf am I gonna do, be a hermit? lol I didn't come here to sit around like people I know (not on this site, haha)

Sure wish it would level out though...with an earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear issues they still kick the US dollar A$$!!

Originally Posted By: norcal
It's about 78-79 Yen to the $ here for us Americanos. When I first got here in '06 it was about 120 to the $, or more (can't remember exactly)

Sure does hurt to go out, but wtf am I gonna do, be a hermit? lol I didn't come here to sit around like people I know (not on this site, haha)

Sure wish it would level out though...with an earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear issues they still kick the US dollar A$$!!

Interesting, norcal.
Does your pay change often to refect big changes?

We get a cost of living rate, so that helps. Most save it and don't do much, but for the most part i'm always trying to go somewhere/do something with the family. I do save though, lol.

it'll help to live on base though, for 1 things are in $ and are also generally much cheaper than off base......problem then is that you don't see much of the country you're living in

I'm lucky enough to live off base smile (small earthquake as I type, lol)...anyway I can't complain I guess, I did have the option to go back but chose to stay, Japan is alot of fun.

by rough, do they mean its gonna fall in valuation against other currencies....such as the yen? Hope so, that would be good, my credit card would be worth next to nothing! smile