Great East Japan Earthquake - our guide to the events of March 11th and what it means for Japan

• SnowJapan Admin

Guide to the Great East Japan Earthquake

Today marks 100 days since the earthquake on March 11th.

We thought that there was a real need to provide clear and honest information about what happened and how it has affected Japan - and how it might affect next snow season as well.

So we have put together a bit of a guide to it all which you can find here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/japan-tohoku-earthquake

There are four pages to the Guide:

- the events of the day;

- radiation concerns;

- feedback from over 50 people living in different snow regions of Japan;

- links to other resources for more information.

We hope that you find it to be a good source of reliable information.

I would like to point out that we are very open to ideas on what could be added to the guide to improve it and we also welcome further comments and feedback from other people living around Japan - whether they are areas already covered or places not yet on the list. If you have feedback to go on that page, please use the form that we have linked to in that section. The more the better.

So we do plan to update this section as necessary.

Anyway, hope you think it fits the purpose and we would like to thank all of the people who took the time to contribute and the people who helped check through it in the last few days.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/japan-tohoku-earthquake

If you feel this is a useful resource, please do help spread the word by sharing the link.

Thank you.

Hate that name Great East Japan Earthquake.

Bloody Awful East Japan Earthquake if you ask me.

This guide you have kindly made though is, I would say, great.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: JellyBelly
Seems in some ways the Nagano quake had more 'ski resort region' impact than the Tohoku one.

I would say definitely, for those around Nagano-Niigata.... which obviously has a large concentration of skijo. Then again, the only skijo I heard of as actually sustaining damage was Nozawa. I think we can presume the small Sakae resort got hit too. So really however dramatic it all was, very little direct impact.
  • SnowJapan Admin

Thanks for the comments.

Keen to hear more as well (either here or mail/pm) including any ways to improve it and any further comments to add to that feedback page.

friend

Nicely put together. Will there be a links for places to donate to (especially organizations on the ground who are perhaps quicker than red cross in putting the money to good immediate use)?

• SnowJapan Admin

We can certainly consider that as an addition, the question is.... which places.

Please do email me if you can with further info on that sunrise.

Thank you.

That could easily have come across like a marketing campaign, but it totally doesn't in any way.

I really respect that, yappari.

Well done.

friend

One thing, on the Events page how about adding a bit about the blackouts and hoarding that went on for a while. I think thats part of the story too.

• SnowJapan Admin

Didn't think of that. Can someone remind me of how long those planned blackouts went on for and what regions? I know Niigata had some planned, but they never happened.

Curt, we did have a few people submit comments for the feedback section that really did sound like marketing blurb, and a few insisting that we also put their business name and website link if we used their comments. It just did not seem to fit into what we were trying to do (and what they said was basically covered in other comments).

Can't quite remember how it all played out but shortages round these parts didn't really go on for long at all and same with blackouts. Not much help that. Anyone with a better memory?

• SnowJapan Admin

OK added a short paragraph about the power blackouts and shortages to the main page to make the account of events more complete. Thanks.

Hi everyone wave

A friend sent me a link to this last night as she knows we were originally thinking of visiting Japan next winter but wary because of what has gone on.

Fabulous information, it really does make the situation clear and it's fantastic to hear from the people who live in those areas. Certainly put my mind at easy. It was getting difficult to know what the situation was now and lots of things that you don't know whether to believe or not.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: SJ-David
OK added a short paragraph about the power blackouts and shortages to the main page to make the account of events more complete. Thanks.

thumbsup