Oh well, it wasn't to be then. The facilities there all look pretty much new. Apparently, it only opened originally in 2002. There won't be many resorts in Japan that opened that recently when skiing was already well on the decline.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about 5 minutes drive from the main Madarao resort, round the side. Lets say you are at Madarao looking at the skijo. Tangram and Myoko are off to your right, right? Well, this place is to the left. If you get up to Madarao directly from the IC, you will pass it. It's basically just one big fairly long course with I think two lifts.

Looks like a really tiny one?

We should have some kind of flag-at-half-mast ceremony, or something (suggestions?) for such events.

In other news, looks like nighters are also being called off this season at Minowa and Inawashiro Resort. Inawashiro Resort is also turning off their #3 pair lift this season. All in the name of electric power conservation.

Note that Inawashiro Resort is different from Inawashiro. No word yet on whether Inawashiro will continue

with nighters this year.

Incidentally, seems Inawashiro has been bought out by Macearth (which apparently operates some other ski areas

around the country), which is planning to operate the Chuo and Minero sides together as one single resort, finally.

Looking at the trail map, it appears that the uppermost lift on the Chuo side has been taken out of operation -- actually,

seems to have happened last year, before 3/11 even. Tubby was there then, if I recall correctly -- was it already gone

then, Tubb?

I don't think so MO...I'll have a gander at the map though and see where the lift is but I'm pretty sure we were able to ride all areas of the resort

The lift I am thinking of is the third one going up on the left (Chuo) side, coming close to the top of the right (Minero) side.

The trail map a couple of years ago showed a traverse between the two tops. Now, the top lift on the left-hand

side has been deleted from the map entirely, along with the trail next to it. Still visible on satellite imagery, so not

my imagination.

Anyway, looks like Inawashiro has announced they WILL be having nighters this season after all.

Though they will be idling a few lifts, mostly redundant ones, on weekends. On weekdays, they are

additionally shutting down the lower half of the Minero side.

They all managing to open then Metabo?

I bet there are really bricking it worrying if people will come or not. The tourist numbers for Fukushima in summer do not bode well.

Is nighta popular there?

I'd love to see some numbers of the business behind nighta. Even a famous place like Ishiuchi Maruyama always seems so quiet.

Don't know. The one time I went there, I left when the nighter started. I do recall a bunch of people waiting to enter for it, but I don't know how many eventually showed up.

They all managing to open then Metabo?

I bet there are really bricking it worrying if people will come or not. The tourist numbers for Fukushima in summer do not bode well.

As far as I can tell, they are all planning to operate. Only ones that have not declared anything yet on their web pages are local one- or two-lift operations, the kinds of places that rarely update their web pages even in a good year.

I do imagine they are pretty worried, though.