All right! That's two. Who else is game?

Somewhere in the Inawashiro/Bandai area would seem to make sense, for easy access from both Tokyo and Niigata directions.

Looking at web sites, none of the Fukushima resorts have declared that they will not open, that I can see.

Inawashiro Minero has declared their intention to operate for the 2011-2012 season, starting late December.

Alts will run with some lifts and restaurants shut down, to save electricity, but are planning on a full season (mid-Dec. to early May for Nekoma, late Dec. to late March for Alts). Alts/Nekoma is offering extra discounts on their joint season pass for the 2011-2012 season.

Adatara Kogen plans to start 10 Dec.

Grandee Hatoriko expects to be operating in the 2011-2012 season as well.

Others have not said anything clear yet, but none have declared any intention to quit, that I can see.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yomiuri reports that Kayama Captain Coast in Yuzawa is officially throwing in the towel, citing the earthquake as a trigger.

...the earthquake connection being that, while Kayama admits the ski area has been running at a loss ever since it first opened, with ever-decreasing visitor numbers, those numbers are expected to worsen even more post-quake, and he is now concentrating his resources on earthquake charity, so he cannot afford to keep propping up the place.

So anyway, move that one from the "merely resting" category. No "renewal open" forthcoming after all.

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
So anyway, move that one from the "merely resting" category. No "renewal open" forthcoming after all.

And come October, that kind of thing should be quite clear on the site. (At long last!) wink
  • 4 weeks later...

Updates on some Fukushima resorts:

Minowa Ski Area is aiming to start up Dec. 3rd.

Also, Minowa and Adatara have announced their 2011-2012 season ticket prices, which are the same as they were last season. (No discount such as Alts/Nekoma have announced.)

Listel Ski Fantasia is planning to open Dec. 23rd.

No closures declared yet that I see.

Muika: Well, here are the opening dates for Minowa for the past few years:

2001.12.1 (or earlier)

So, maybe they have about a 2-out-of-3 chance of meeting their Dec. 3rd target. (Of course, it will be mostly artificial snow on opening day.)

SKI: December does seem so far -- and yet the time to start thinking about early-bird specials on passes and tickets is almost upon us already! (For those interested in such.)

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, my daily fishwrap is claiming power shortages and setsuden will be the order of the day again in winter. Hope they're wrong.

Alts is cancelling their nighters this winter, plus closing down the left one-third of their mountain. They say it is to conserve electricity, though I wonder if it may not be more of an excuse to shut down uneconomical parts of their operation with a less-than-stellar season expected.

No pipe this year apparently, but they are beefing up the park features at Nekoma. Also shutting down the family quad serving the central beginners' slope at Nekoma. Perhaps the idea is to focus on advanced skiers/riders on the Nekoma side, and everyone else on the Alts side?

• 2 weeks later...