There are very few resorts in the whole of Japan that haven't been having a hard time for at least a decade now. I think Japan has more ski areas than does the whole of the US. Obviously all concentrated in a much smaller area and with a much smaller, declining and aging population. A lot of ski areas in Japan will close over the coming decade (and would have regardless of recent events).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe.

I have seen trend sports come and go. Ten-pin bowling for example. I would include golf course and tennis court membership, too.

I don´t see it as a big problem if you were someone who would go ski touring... The mountain is still there, just no lifts. Actually, in the future this opens up possibilities. No lifts, no stupid J-pop, no patrol and no crowds but the access by car is there.

The ski resorts closures, or "not operating for the next season" is just sign of the times.

Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
I guess the closest would be Adatara Kogen. Which I quite liked when I visited them this year. Hope they can hold on.

Yes me too.

Just so many people affected by these events. Hard to grasp the scale of it all.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Actually, in the future this opens up possibilities. No lifts, no stupid J-pop, no patrol and no crowds but the access by car is there.

Is there any business in this at all?

Mountain Park Tsunan in Tsunan will be closed "until the end of March 2015" according to the local paper this morning. Hibernation mode, it seems. One of the smaller places.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resort_map.php?resortNo=33

Tsunan is right on the border of Niigata-Nagano, next to Sakae village and so I would imagine pretty shook up by the earthquake on 12th March. It's about 20 minutes from where I live in Tokamachi and about 25-30 minutes from Nozawa.

I take that back, they plan to open!

3月12日発生ã—ãŸé•·é‡ŽçœŒåŒ—部地震ã«ã¤ã„ã¦ã¯ã€å¤šãã®çš†æ§˜æ–¹ã«ã”心é…ã‚’ãŠã‹ã‘ã™ã‚‹ã¨ã¨ã‚‚ã«ã€ã”支æ´ã‚„復興ã®ãŠåŠ›æ·»ãˆã‚’ã„ã ã ã„ã¦ã„る事ã«ã¤ãã¾ã—ã¦ã€æ”¹ã‚ã¦å¿ƒã‚ˆã‚ŠãŠç¤¼ç”³ã—上ã’ã¾ã™ã€‚

ã•ã¦ã€ã“ã®éœ‡ç½ã«ã‚ˆã‚Šã¾ã—ã¦ã€å½“スキー場ã«ãŠã„ã¦ã‚‚相当ãªè¢«å®³ãŒç™ºç”Ÿã„ãŸã—ã¾ã—ãŸãŒã€å°‚門業者ã«ã‚ˆã‚‹ãã®å¾Œã®è©³ç´°èª¿æŸ»ã®çµæžœã€ã‚²ãƒ¬ãƒ³ãƒ‡ã‚„リフト設備ã«ã¤ã„ã¦ã¯æ·±åˆ»ãªè¢«å®³ãŒãªã„ã“ã¨ãŒåˆ¤æ˜Žã—ã¾ã—ãŸã€‚ã¤ãã¾ã—ã¦ã¯ã€æ¥ã‚·ãƒ¼ã‚ºãƒ³ï¼ˆå¹³æˆï¼’3年12月ã‹ã‚‰å¹³æˆï¼’4年3月)ã¯é€šå¸¸ã®ã‚¹ã‚­ãƒ¼å ´å–¶æ¥­ã‚’è¡Œã†æ–¹å‘ã§é€²ã‚ã‚‹ã“ã¨ã¨ãªã‚Šã¾ã—ãŸã€‚今å¤ä»¥é™ã€è¢«å®³ã®å¤§ãã‹ã£ãŸã‚»ãƒ³ã‚¿ãƒ¼ãƒã‚¦ã‚¹ã‚„アクセスé“è·¯ã®ä¿®ç¹•ã‚’実施ã—ã€ï¼‘2月ã®ã‚ªãƒ¼ãƒ—ンã«å‘ã‘準備を進ã‚ã¦ã„ã予定ã§ã™ã€‚進æ—ã®çŠ¶æ³ã«ã¤ã„ã¦ã¯ã€å½“サイトã«ã¦ãŠçŸ¥ã‚‰ã›ã„ãŸã—ã¾ã™ã€‚

今後ã¨ã‚‚「ã•ã‹ãˆå€¶æ¥½éƒ¨ã‚¹ã‚­ãƒ¼å ´ã€ã®ã”利用を心ã‹ã‚‰ãŠå¾…ã¡ã—ã¦ãŠã‚Šã¾ã™ã€‚

• 2 weeks later...

That would be big news.

Got to feel for them, they're fighting against the word Fukushima.. now known throughout the world.

Alts are close to Yamagata border, or Niigata.

Perhaps they could apply for a transfer!