Hello all,

Next winter I'll be coming to Japan from end of December till mid March for some playful times in the Japanese powdered mountains.

So far I've got my eyes on Myoko. Seems to have loads of interesting steeps for hiking in the area. Plus they've got a good park it seems at Ikenotaira.

But what about Yuzawa, especially Kagura and Naeba? Seen some pictures with nice lines next to Naeba, but any acces possible without sneaking around?

Anybody else heading to any of those areas next winter?

We'll have a car there so some driving is possible.

Anyway, any thoughts on Myoko vs Yuzawa for a few months are welcome.

Erik

Netherlands

Hi ESR

I live in the Yuzawa region. I must add that I wouldn't particularly want to be be based (on holiday) in any one town for such a long time. So I'm perhaps not the best to ask about that!

Taking that into account, my recommendation would be to choose maybe 3 areas and spend a few weeks in each. You could do Yuzawa. Then Nozawa. Then Shiga Kogen. Then Myoko. That sounds pretty good to me.

From Kagura you can hike out legally and do some great terrain, many people do it, I think you have to register at the top of the gondola station and show that you have all the proper gear (shovel, shoes, avi transponder etc). I 2nd what Muika says, try and spend a week or 2 at different places, the 3 mentioned would give you a lot of great terrain and powder snow

He Muikabochi

Have considered the traveling around, though makes it a lot more expensive easily, multiple passes, no monthly rentals etc. Though a friend suggested getting a van, live in that and drive around.

Mainly I prefer being based somewhere, even small resorts, and get to know the place very well.

Thanks

That would seriously bore me. And seems such a wasted opportunity too.

You can get to know Yuzawa very well in 2 weeks and that includes a few handful of resorts.

There isnt a "Yuzawa" ticket to buy that lets you go to all the resorts in the area. So you would have to choose one resort there the most obvious being Naeba/Kagura. I wouldn't personally choose to be there for a few months though.

He Iiyamadude,

What would you suggest then? Thinking not wanting to buy too many passes as that seriously makes the trip way more expensive. Same goes for moving too much.

A friend has spend a few seasons in Hakuba area for example.

Thanks

Erik

I think the difficulty is trying to find a place that has a cover-all ticket. The resorts in Japan don't work together so much, like the resorts in Europe or Nth.America for example

Hi Muikabochi,

Including backcountry, I doubt getting to know a resort within a day is possible, or even two weeks.

Have spent some time(8 weeks) in Brighton, Utah, and yes, we knew all the lifts and mountain layout within a few hours, getting to really know the surrounding backcountry is a different story.

Have also spent loads of time in mega-resorts like 3Vallees, Tignes/Vald'Isere and Portes du Soleil. Bad backcountry cover and white outs can make these resorts super tiny (unless your main aim is groomers).

Thanks

Erik

Tubby Beaver,

True indeed. Myoko for example has a big 4 season pass, unfortunately Seki Onsen isn't in it. Though this one pass will give access to loads of backcountry it seems and they have good park.

A day trip to another resort every now and then will happen.

Myoko isn't a kick in the arse away from Nozawa and Madrao, although i have no idea about the BC options there. I guess Shiga Kogen isn't too far away either although i doN7t know if there are any public transport links. But if you were to go to Myoko, you could do a couple of day trips here and there to the surrounding places

Tubby Beaver,

That is the plan indeed. Other resorts are not too far for a day trip. We'll also buy a small car so we'll be able to move around.

Can people just come into the country and buy a car on a tourist visa? I doubt you would be able to do that, unless of course one of you is in Japan.

But from what you are saying I would say also that Myoko > Yuzawa. But you should really try a few areas out if you are here for so long.

From Myoko you can go to Togakushi ski resort. A fun little place to spend the day. Having a car would really give you loads of options. Even Hakuba isn't that far... some places that are good and not too far from Myoko (aside from the Myoko resorts)include:

-Togakushi

-Madarao

-Ryuoo Ski Park

-Nozawa Onsen

-Shiga Kogen

etc

Yes Ski will definitely make a day trip every now and then.

Snowbender. Will resell the car. The difference in price per day for accommodation and ski-pass between staying somewhere short-term or semi long-term is significant enough to take that gamble.

Main plan is get a base with season pass and do some random trips.

Maybe that dream will not happen, but the powder base will:)