Originally Posted By: bobby12
try getting your japanese spouse a visa in the uk and then come back and complain about 6000 yen. its like 800 pounds or something for a 2 year spouse visa!

800 quid!!?? omg Really?
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I need to go allll the way to Niigata Airport to get mine done.

Last time, it was just a re-entry renewal. Took me literally 10 minutes when I was there.

2 hours to get there and 2 hours to return - on the expressway!

Good weekday day-out to Niigata, though. wink

My work usually give me it off as well.

Get to go to one of my fave restaurants up there.

Thing that gets me is the way you need to go from the immigration office and into the airport to the shop to buy the 'stamp'. Why don't they sell you them in the office? Seems a bit crazy when everyone there will need to go and buy them.

When I 1st came here, in Yokohama you had to go upstairs to a little window and get your stamp, when I came back they asked me to go round the corner to the family mart to get it!! :wtf:

Easily forgotten once you've got PR. I once came back in on the day it expired having forgotten to renew.

My missus used to read a blog written by a Japanese family working in the UK and she said they had to go to London and pay a fortune for a visa when they had a child. It was hundreds of pounds.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
something to do with preventing corruption i imagine.

I can't begin to imagine there being any corruption in Japan.
wink

To go with that though, how would that prevent corruption?

Immigration officers don't handle any money... and therefore can't be bribed (i suppose). Anyway, since you know exactly what you need when you are going to the immigration office why not just buy it before going inside? Seems pretty straight forward and simple to me... I also think that the visa section of the immigration office here runs much more efficiently than any other country I've lived in.

I don't say it is effective against corruption, just that I imagine that is the intention behind it. In public service there seems to be many of these kinds of barriers/rules set up.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Anyway, since you know exactly what you need when you are going to the immigration office why not just buy it before going inside?

That is what I did actually, but whenever I have been there nobody else seems to.

A question that has surely been asked 3040503 times, but why do people with Permenant Residency status still have to get this done every 3 years? What's the reason, other than money?

Originally Posted By: Cheeseman
Do other countries have such permits?

Yes they do. Australia has a return resident visa which is 5 years for around $280AUD.

In Japan, as a PR you have it easy!