OK so in 2 months my re-entry permit is up for renewal.

But I will be going out of the country before then and coming back 4 days before it is up.

Question is whether to go get it before or wait.

If I get it now, will I basically forfeit that 2 months period or will they extend it from the existing date? Anyone know?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go and renew it just in case.

My best mate forgot to renew his, thinking it would be ok to arrive back in Japan one day before it ran out. Got delayed and arrived one day after his reentry visa ran out.

Jeez, talk about a shitstorm of paperwork, bureaucracy and diplomacy.

Why do you need reentry permit to come into Japan? You can just come in on a tourist visa (or spouse visa etc) and then get a new gaijin card.

My understanding is you only need reentry permit to stop them taking your gaijin card off you when you leave japan.

Yes you will loose your visa without the re-entry permit and basically will have to start from scratch, which will also mean for example if you have been in Japan for 5 years and you loose your visa, then you apply for a new one, it will show you as being in Japan from the new renewal date only, effectively showing you have just arrived in Japan for the first time. It will also show up on your gaijin card too.

Better to renew it at least a couple of weeks before you go, or even a week, you can just go any week day and renew it in about an hour or so, depending on people.

I have a permanent visa, but I still have to renew my re-entry permission every three years which really sucks. They have all my details they could possibly need but they still demand I re-new it.

A lot of it is beacuse they need the 4000 yen that it costs each time you renew it.

Hmm, when I was on a spouse visa twice I just handed in my gaijin card at the airport and came back and applied for a new gaijin card. no reentry permit, no new visa application.

Now i am on a PR visa, maybe it would be different.

try getting your japanese spouse a visa in the uk and then come back and complain about 6000 yen. its like 800 pounds or something for a 2 year spouse visa!