• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the whole tower thing. Seems like just such a waste of public funds. I remember going up in the CN tower in Toronto thinking the same thing....really, what's the ****ing point.

Towers seem to fall into the ,, more money than brains category. :thumbsdown: Fail

You do know that it is also replacing Tokyo Tower for TV and radio broadcasts as well across the kanto plains?

Well, yes...of course. That's pretty much its ONLY use right? My point is build a frickin building that actually has some sort of function and if need be throw a radio tower on the top of it.

I saw that on the news this morning.

Why is this a problem for Skytree and not other, er, tall buildings?!

Because the top of the tower is around 600 metres, other buildings are no where near as high, and usually Tokyo doesn't freeze, at most they only get a few nights in January where the temps hit zero, at 600 metres it is going to be at least 5oC colder than that!

I don't know the economics of it, but they seem to really be hoping that it will be a major Tokyo tourist attraction.

Tell you what, it's one place I certainly would not like to be in the case of a big earthquake!!

the news piece about ice was on earlier in december as well.......giant chunks were falling into neighbouring apartment blocks and smashing shit up.

Is Tokyo tower gonna get pulled down then? If not, what else will that do.......apart from sell stale cakes?

• 2 months later...

I see that Skytree is about to open.

Also see that the shopping bit at the bottom is called Solamachi.

Presumably they consulted and know that 空 is actually Sora, not Sola?

;)

It doesn't reach the sky either! :grandpa:

Got to not want to go up there on a cloudy day. Especially as you need to take a loan out to afford the trip! ;)

I think it goes something like this.

Until July 10th, needs to be booked. And is sold out.

For afterwards, you can book online and they will have 10,000 (?) tickets per day on sale actually there.

Saw that the lifts were stopped so people could not go up but were able to go down because of the wind. Glad I didn't go today would have been a complete waste of money not being able to see sod all because of the rain and cloud.