I had a few day trips that were fantastic hitching from the Manukau highway onramp in Auckland, New Zealand.

The excitement may possibly have been raised by the fact when leaving home at sparrows fart I had no sure way to, and (the most important 4 hour car ride) from the mountain resort, Whakapapa. Good times

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool What was it like to get to yuzawa then, then? Local train?

Did you have to get Route 17 through up into Yuzawa past Naeba?

Was Route 17 built in those times gone by? wink

Cars? Oh, you'd be damn lucky to have cars...

Let's see, the ltd express from Ueno was about 3 hours to Yuzawa, and the drive up R17 from Maebashi (where xpressway ended when i began skiing in 1980) could be anything from two hours (if you knew some back road shortcuts) to six hours (on a friday night with blizzard conditions).

Train was better option, but you had to plan ahead to get reserved seats or it was rush-hour yamanote packing with a lot of sweated-thru wool perfuming the air.

Sorry, Meta, but that was before we worked out the whole fire/cooking business. One you gnawed thru the skin the lizard sashimi wasn't bad.

Muika, on busy weekends you could expect 30-minute liftlines at minimum.

In truth, you young'uns have no idea how good you have it with today's transportation links, hi-speed lifts, constant grooming, etc. Why in my day we used to have to stab the moguls with our ski poles to stop them from attacking...

Originally Posted By: DiGriz
Sorry, Meta, but that was before we worked out the whole fire/cooking business. One you gnawed thru the skin the lizard sashimi wasn't bad.

Lizard sashimi. Sounds yummy. yummy

Quote:
Why in my day we used to have to stab the moguls with our ski poles to stop them from attacking...

Still do in some of the wild places up north, apparently. One wily critter on Yokokura no Kabe bit the skis clean off my boots when I wasn't looking. Managed to subdue it with a body slam, though shoulder still twinges a bit four months later.

Oh, definitely, Muika. I just threw that out as a sort of minimum. There were plenty of times back in the 80s when buying a one-day pass just wasn't reasonable. You'd buy a point/ride ticket and probably have some left over by lift close. I skied a lot at Iwappara and what's now Yuzawa Park back then, and it wasn't unusual to not get through 12 lift rides in a day unless you stayed around for the night skiing.