Hi everyone, new here wave

A strange topic perhaps.

I have been known to do day trips up to Yuzawa. Round town it's mega convenient but even going up to Kagura adds a fair bit of time especially the time getting to the main part up there. Still like it though.

Wondering what the furthest anyone has been for a day trip distance wise, from Tokyo (or anywhere else I suppose)? Someone told me they had a friend who did Zao which seems a real stretch to me - wonder if he got more than an hour or two in?!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jonathan,

I once considered doing Zao from here in Niigata. It's a 4 hour drive, 2/3 of it on one lane roads. The idea was to leave about 5am, ski from 10am-4pm then get back late night.

I decided in the end that it would just be too much.

I think more than a 2 hour drive each way and it's getting to be needing a stay.

Did a daytrip to Okutadami back when the Kanetsu ended at Maebashi. Left Tokyo about 4 a.m. and got home at about 11 p.m.

Also did Sugadaira and then night-ski at Karuizawa (yeah, lame), and Adatara-kogen.

A daytrip to Zao sounds pretty wild.

Not from Tokyo, but my pre-season day trip to Yeti last year ended up taking close to 5 hours each way due to cross-Tokyo traffic. Might just pick somewhere else this year.

Originally Posted By: DiGriz
Did a daytrip to Okutadami back when the Kanetsu ended at Maebashi. Left Tokyo about 4 a.m. and got home at about 11 p.m.

Also did Sugadaira and then night-ski at Karuizawa (yeah, lame), and Adatara-kogen.

A daytrip to Zao sounds pretty wild.

What did you think of Adatara?

Not much I'm afraid, Metabo. Maybe I just wasn't having a good day, or didn't know where to go, but I dropped it from my list even before the drunk oji-san in the cafeteria made a pest of himself.

More favorably impressed with Tengendai and Eboshi up that way. (But doubt I'll be doing many more day trips bar the occasional Kagura run.)

Eboshi is on my list to check out some time.

Interested to hear more about Tengendai. Get the impression it is kind of a serious, clubby place. Looks like a real hike to get to, though.

Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan
Did Hakuba from Yokohama once, left at 4am, got there for 8am.

Left at 5pm and home by 10pm

Yeah I've done that as well, from a little farther south. Thankfully I don't drive so I can snooze in the back of the car!!

The longest day trip I've ever taken was actually the shortest in terms of distance, went to Tenjindaira in Gunma. The traffic on the Kan-etsu was just mental and we decided to wait out the 100-odd km traffic jam by sleeping in the car for an hour or 2. Didn't get home until about 4am (we left about 4.30am the previous day), meant to be up at 6.30 to go to work.....that got rubbered.