Originally Posted By: Fonty

After reading these posts for a long time I was more focused on being insured for off piste injuries

I always say people are crazy not to take out insurance when travelling.

I've never heard of this :S and this whole time I have been off doing my own little thing overseas, can you please give me some suggestions on where to look for these extra benefits! it would be MUCH appreciated!

What do you mean Korbzy?

So im going to Japan for 6 weeks and ill be doing some off-piste riding and I want to be covered of course for this, would I be looking at an extras package that includes off-piste or are there some companies people recommend that normally have it in their general policy. I tired to have a look around the forum for some tips or recommendations but most of them are outdated. sorry for hijacking the OP's thread!

Where are you based Kobzy? When you are looking for a policy just make sure you have unlimited medical and ask the question about being covered for off piste within resort boundaries or back country. Then get it in writing. The insurance cover I took out covered us under their general policy for off piste within resort boundaries.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im from Australia and will be staying in hakuba, I will most likely be going off piste out of resort boundries as im hiring a guided BC tour guide for a day. Any specific insurance companies you recommend?

Cool Korbzy. We were insured with 1Cover which as I said before, confirmed in writing that they would cover us off piste but in resort boundaries. This won't help you though as you are going backcountry. I have had a look through past postings and people participating in backcountry either suggest IHI Bupa Global Travel or World Nomads, Level 4 coverage which includes backcountry. These companies are more expensive but will cover you if you need a helicopter to fish out of goodness knows where!!! ;)

Whilst I was reading this thread an advert on the TV came on for travel insurance, I had a look and they have ski policies and the prices are very reasonable....not sure about back country however I couldn't see any mention of it....but a quick email to them wouldn't hurt... they are under written by allianze..... 1cover.