• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About how much do you pay for insurance?

I often go for a lower cost package but after reading some stroies think it might be best not to be fussy over a few thousand..

A few thousand!! omg I only paid AUD$266 for a family of four for 3 weeks and got it in writing that they would cover injuries off piste within resort boundaries. Little did I know that would be the least of my worries shifty

I did make sure that I had unlimited medical.

If you are looking for cover that includes back country then there are lots of postings that give heaps of valuable info on this site!

WOW!! Fonty, what a fabulous (and scary) story of why it is a good idea to always have the travel insurance sorted.

I will never leave home without it now. The one time I forgot and planned to get it when we got to London for the ski component of the trip it was the bags that went missing.

And with the current Volcanic activity it rams home how important it is to buy TI at the same time as the plane tix.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
The one time I forgot and planned to get it when we got to London for the ski component of the trip it was the bags that went missing.

A doh moment sounds like! Did they turn up?

5 of the 6 arrived 3 days later.

The 6th - a biggie contained all the clothing of child #3 and #4 (little kiddo's at the time), and the spare space was crammed with camera's, chargers, new video camera, Christmas gifts for English relatives, my Suunto alpine watch :(

It never turned up.

I believe IT was the reason the others had a little detour.

I have learned.

I pack camera's/watches etc in carry on now.

And we TRY to cross pack the bags so there is at least one change of clothes for each family member in each bag, and one small toiletries selection in each bag. We often FAIL at that, but it is a good trick if some of the bags come thru and others arrive later, you can go about your dailies without having to shop or wash in the hotel sink and dry with a hairdryer.

lol Yes. It was the WORST combination.

A flight from Charles De Gaulle (you have to blame the dodgy French baggage handlers!) into Heathrow Terminal 5, without insurance.

I must have had a complete brain infarction - coz the odds were higher of it occurring than not I suppose!

Apart from the usual UK 'couldn't give much an arse' attitude, it's ok. Nothing terrible and better than the before setup that's for sure. Even better if you can use the posh lounges and get away from the peasants.

• 2 months later...

Originally Posted By: Fonty

After reading these posts for a long time I was more focused on being insured for off piste injuries

I always say people are crazy not to take out insurance when travelling.

I've never heard of this :S and this whole time I have been off doing my own little thing overseas, can you please give me some suggestions on where to look for these extra benefits! it would be MUCH appreciated!

What do you mean Korbzy?

So im going to Japan for 6 weeks and ill be doing some off-piste riding and I want to be covered of course for this, would I be looking at an extras package that includes off-piste or are there some companies people recommend that normally have it in their general policy. I tired to have a look around the forum for some tips or recommendations but most of them are outdated. sorry for hijacking the OP's thread!