Had too share this one.

Just got back from Bali 4 days in 14yr old daughter starts to feel sore and a bit off.

Next day she is really uncomfortable with abdominal pain so we called the doctor.

Preliminary diagnosis of Appendicitis so off to hospital in Dempasar.

Appendicitis confirmed with ultrasound and blood tests.

They wanted to operate we wanted to get her back to Oz, travel insurance company doctors (SOS) get her medivac'd to Raffles Hospital in Singapore the next day for operation (Too risky getting her to OZ).

4 days in Singapore with seperate room for wife, meals and flight home, daughter is fine and home now.

Hospital costs alone $16K god knows what the Medivac costed.

All for the measely sum of $116au.

If we didn't have Insurance it would have financially wrecked us.

Seemore

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they call it Medivac'd

A private jet similar to a lear.

They do that so they can control the accent/descent pressures so the bowell gasses don't rupture.

Some one estimated it at $50K for the doctor, 2 nurses and 2 pilots from Singapore and back.

Seemore

Glad to hear that everything is ok with your daughter (and bank account). Makes me wonder how many australians actually take out travel insurance when they travel to Bali. It is seen as a cheap holiday destination, but could turn seriously expensive without insurance.

Originally Posted By: seemore
I think they call it Medivac'd

Actually, it is medevac short for medical evacuation. Sorta self explanatory, really!

Going ANYWHERE, whether local or overseas, without travel insurance is very much fraught!We hold TI for an upcoming (or at least planned at this stage, and deposit paid) trip from home to Lake Eyre. IF we have to cancel for any reason, the deposit will be back in our account rather than being kissed goodbye to.

Like house insurance, I hope that the premiums are a waste of money, but the one time you DON'T do it will likely be the ONE time you really, REALLY need it!

yeah I get cover each time I go overseas on a snow trip.

But as far as I understood my policy it would never cover me if the case was for a pre existing problem (like my diabetes) that being said the cover was for incase I broken something boarding (and needed a expensive evac to aus)

• 2 weeks later...

BUT, We have tried to use it to return from Japan after +1's mother passed away. Problem was the unavailability of seats to get home before we were intending to return anyway. That insurance was not very helpful in that particular situation.

Mind you, I'd not leave home (or even book a holiday) without it!

After reading these posts for a long time I was more focused on being insured for off piste injuries when I took out our travel insurance. Arrived in Niseko, trip to hospital for number 2 son as he was breathing in short gasps, ambulance to Teine Hospital where we stayed for two weeks. He was not allowed to fly for another two weeks after that.

Forteen days of hospital treatment including multiple xrays, CT scans, four general anaethsetics, extra hotel for number 1 son and hubby, multiple train trips back and forth to Niseko, accommodation in Niseko for another two weeks, food and new airline tickets to come home.....would of had to take a second mortgage on the house to pay for it. All for $460 for the family.

I always say people are crazy not to take out insurance when travelling.

I have been waiting for the opportunity to post this just so others see how badly it can go wrong when it does.

All good now thanks fukdane, pretty scary at the time though omg

I am very curious about the hospital bill as the insurance company took care of all of that directly. They also paid the extra accommodation and airline tickets up front as well.

I lodged a claim for over $7,000 AUD in incidentals though when we came home.

Must have been a tidy amount.

Perhaps not as much but my sister broke her leg skiing in Switzerland quite a few years back and that would have cost a fortune if they weren't covered. Story is that they very nearly didn't go with insurance and got it last minute at the airport.

Originally Posted By: Fonty
After reading these posts for a long time I was more focused on being insured for off piste injuries

I always say people are crazy not to take out insurance when travelling.

I've never heard of this :S and this whole time I have been off doing my own little thing overseas, can you please give me some suggestions on where to look for these extra benefits! it would be MUCH appreciated!