I'm sure this thread has been done before but I need a little help choosing a TV. These days it seems that bigger is better and everything's getting so cheap. I read in a catalog that if you have around 2 metres of viewing distance you should be looking at a size over 42 inches! There are so many TV's being made now, it's hard to really find the right one...

So everyone, is bigger better? Did you worry about the specs before buying? The more you look into it the harder it seems to choose...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should get one that feels right for you, not what some pamphlet says.

One thing to remember is that they always seem so much bigger in your home than they do in a big showroom.

I highly recommend a long term guarantee.

Thanks to the one I got with my original 42" plasma way back, when it broke the kind people at Sony gave me a spanking new 46" LCD over 4 years in when it conked out. Deal!

I remember you saying that. That was a great deal you got!

Mine is 32 inch I think and certainly big enough for where I watch it.

I noticed that Bic Camera was selling a 40" LCD Flatscreen for 38k, it wasn't one o fthe big brands though, ORION. Picture looked as good as the Sony one next to it that was 60k. Anyone got a lesser branded TV? In your Opinion are they as good as the big brands?

Thinking about getting the Regza Z1S 37inch. Going for a bit of balance between performance and size. Recording on an external USB hard-drive sounds like a cool feature too.

Want to get a blue-ray recorder with it too but the Toshiba ones don't have the best reputation. Wondering if it's viable to use a different brand recorder?

more means more to lose! I have enough of a hard time finding one sometimes. Wife loves to take it into other rooms for some reason.

My Sony Au phone from 7 years ago had a built in tv remote. You'd select the brand of tv in the settings and could use it on pretty much any tv. It was such a great feature. Was fun to mess around with friend's tvs when they thought I was writing mails.

37 sounds like a good choice for you.

I have this one friend who has a 50 inch monster and he literally watches it from about 3m away. lol

• 2 weeks later...

yeah.......I went into Bic Camera and they had the same one for 77k, but a 40 inch ORION for 39k. I was actually thinking of getting the lesser brand cos it was cheaper but when I checked out Nojima they had the one I wanted for 55 so thought I'd rather spend the extra 15k or so on a top brand