Sorry made a mistake. The Pass is the JTB seasons pass and it has a good amount of resorts on it some in Yuzawa as well. It does look worth while for people from Tokyo looking for a fixed cost. You should be able to find it via a simple english search.

I think what made ikenotaira worth it was two things: 1. The base center is pretty decent. You have lots of stuff to do there so you can hang out with your mates kinda easily. 2. The park at ikenotaira seemed to be a bigish deal at the time. They also had load of events for it in 2009 (that was the last time i was there, so youll forgive me if im completely off base now).

And outside that i guess cruising is still kinda fun as well as the whole myoko off piste blind eye policy (and some untracked stashes here and there).

If it was just for the resort itself, youre absolutely right, youd be hard pressed to even make it out there a second day when you have all the rest of myoko as well as shiga, kita-shiga, nozawa, and hakuba on your doorstep (as well as the stuiff in niigata which i know nothing about). But if youre a park rat looking for a deal and lived relatively nearby, it was a decent place to muck about with your mates i reckon.

Lift ticket at Zao is 65,000 yen and you can use it at night.

So 12 days and 4 nights and you are covered.

Great if you can be up here a lot and/or live nearby, but I suppose out of the range of most people.

• 2 weeks later...

I would only get one if I lived right close I think.

As it is I don't and have different targets to the north, north east and south of where I am. So don't want to feel tied down to one area.

Did you decide yet?

Thanks for all the replies and insight! Have not decided yet...but may just go against it. Since the expressway is back up to its normal rate, and the yen rate isn't that good for my $, I may not go as much next season, depends. Will still go as much as possible though.