Why is it, that when I am at the back and something needs filling in - like my address - they insist that I write it rather than write it for me? Even in my incredibly awful pre-elementary school level of Japanese. But no they won't even write the address bit for me.

They just always seem to incredlbly anal about everything.

Does seem silly sometimes - especially when they need you to be the one to tick a box! I just learnt how to write my address and name. And tick boxes!

• 1 month later...

About twice a year, I need to send some money overseas and use the local bank. Today was one of those days. It took 45 minutes for them to sort it out and it usually takes ages. WTF takes so long? Is this common or are my bank just totally inept.

no....well actually its a bit of both, it applies to all banks in Japan and so does the fact that all banks here are inept. They run back and forward showing various people your piece of paper, treating it like you're laundering billions of yen in drug money....FFS I ONLY WANNA SEND 30K HOME!!!! veryangry welcome to my situation every 1st Friday of the month! smile

You send about 30000 yen home a month TB? Don't you get ripped on charges for doing that so often? I send my money about twice a year to avoid the charges.

Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
They run back and forward showing various people your piece of paper, treating it like you're laundering billions of yen in drug money....

lol
They do just that though don't they.
And the fact that when I send money it is always to exactly the same account with all of the details exactly the same does not seem to speed things up any at all.
doh
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
How long have you been paying off that "Beer" then TB?

Its been a while.......the off licence round the corner does a great payment plan....1p a day for the rest of your life

I investigated the possibility of getting a cheque for 12 quid paid into my UK bank. I knew the hopeless bastards wouldn't be able to do it, but the first thing the hopeless young woman did was to make two copies of it. Then she showed her hopeless boss the copy and the cheque, and the hopeless bastard spent several long moments comparing the cheque with the copy, even though he had been eyeballing the whole procedure with a look of constipated anxiety the whole time and ought to have known they were the same. You should have seen the hopeless bastard jump when I said loudly "MATTAKU ONAJI DESSSSSSSSS!"

Naturally there were excellent reasons why a Japanese bank can't cash or bank a cheque. Even if they could, the fees would have eaten up the sum anyway.