• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i grabbed an ipod this season and found it to be the perfect ticket. i actually got it for mountain biking so i could have something to motivate me through an hours slog up the single track and then unplug during the descent. oddly enough i get weirded out when i can't hear the forest whizzing by so i have to take it out. it gives me a strange vertigo feeling.

the ipod translates well over to the snow and is great for those days when all your having are safety meetings (???) and working on stuff. it makes the lift ride up more enjoyable and those solo days on the hill more interesting. it's also great for the backcountry skin up or days of competition...where all you do is wait.

I strongly prefer silence and the sounds of nature...the wind passing through the pine branches, the occasional bird, the subaural hiss of falling snow blanketing the mountain.

Music is distracting and an annoyance to me on the slopes. It ruins my rhythm, prevents me from hearing other people slicing thru the soft snow or scraping toward me on the ice, and adds extraneous/unwelcome emotions, thoughts and images to the mountain experience.

Lately I am sliding in places and at speeds that require full concentration and maximum muscular effort. Unless it is draining, scary or demanding, it doesn't attract me. And when I get to the good places to slide, I want to engage them completely. I just don't have any mental space or desire to adulterate that with music.

badmigrane....

right on brother! That is exactly how I feel...I actually tried riding with tunes this year and I found it really distracted me...mainly with rythem issues and awareness...I love music, and I love skiing, but its a bit of an overload to combine them for me...

however, I can see the appeal...

danz

• 6 years later...

i hardly ever listen to music when riding, but if I have a long hike/skin then ill bring something along. I like to be able to hear whats going on. Especially if somebody screams abunai! id like to be able to hear it. Great place for music though is park/pipe.

I'll use one if i', just cruising alone, playing int he park or something, but not if i'm riding with friends.

I'm mixed on the powder riding thing. Sometimes i li¥ove the sound of nature and the PHOOOMPH of turns, but i also tried a powder day riding to old dub and reggae, and it was amazing too.

I used to ride with music when skiing moguls/ ballet. It helped me getting into it. Was a walkman (tape) then and had to keep it walm and ride smooth. Ipod would have been great then.

Now, I don't need it.

as to others - Do you tell people to turn off the music when you are driving a car in traffic?

OR roll down the window so you can hear the outside world whilst driving?

stir

Shall we have a riding test to be able to ski/board ? hehehe

I have always been music free until recently. I think that was a function of needing to have all my senses working 100% to manage a new skill.

The last two trips to Thredbo - August and September 09 - I used my iPod. Only ever had the ear bud in ONE ear. Sometimes I was comfortable listening and sometimes not.

As Jynxx said the rhythm was great for setting a nice rhythmic form going - but there were also times where the conditons/situation changed and I pulled the bud from my ear so I could hear better.

Enjoy, but be safe.

Haven't tried this but I keep meaning to give it a shot. I agree that one bud would probably be best to listen out for warnings, and I'll probably give it a whirl next time I'm on the slopes with one bud.

Though I can definitely see it becoming a distraction. Even though I'm beyond having to keep my full concentration on the terrain to stop falling over, I like to be aware of my surroundings, watching out for potential jumps or people I know etc.

Just need to treat it like you are on a bike. (Motor bike, push bike whichever)

Look around a lot and assume people do not notice you.

I know it's hard to do that on a snowboard because small head rotations can rotate the shoulder and downwards to a potential face plant from edge catching. You need to move strategically so you see people and also don't cut across people's path

One of the friends I went on the girls trip with recently is profoundly Deaf, and I also know a number of other members of the Deaf community in Perth who ski or board -small ski community anyway, add in Deafness - really small community!

Also saw a couple of Deaf skiers in Zermatt. So they are out there.

Cutting across and assuming someone will yield for you when you are not following the Alpine code is fairly arrogant as they may not speak your language, or may not hear you for numerous reasons.

Were you badly injured Rob?

I agree Rob.

and not all skiers will call.

I don't want to take pleasure out of someone but I'd rather be in tune with what I'm doing.

Once I had a very close call. It was after I landed on a skydive and walking back to the hanger. Something made me stop and then someone swooped right across in front of me. It was my fault for not checking and the guy should have called. If I had music in my ears no way I would have instinctively avoided. Call it the 6th sense.

I tried last season one day riding with music. My problem is I get very nervous of snowboards zooming up behind me so I thought that the music would drown out that noise AND it did. I gained more and more confidence UNTIL an out of control screaming skiier collected me, I didn't hear them as I had my music on. NO MORE MUSIC FOR ME.

MB maybe the one earbud in thing might work for me thumbsup

Sometimes even if you can hear them - there is naught you can do. But I like having a sense of hearing still functioning just in case - so one ear bud is the best of both worlds. Low Vis and it is gone though.

Low visibility really throws me off when I'm on snowboard. I become a noob. I just don't have enough experience.

Whilst skiing I learnt to feel through my feet and generally I'd be skiing with my big toe. Yeah, old school stuff ... But I'm on snowboard now and that's like heel to toe and with only one edge it's not easy when you can't see bumps and crud.

So many posts here, and disappointingly few pointing out that listening to music using in-ear headphones while boarding or skiing is no less daft than doing so while riding a bike on a busy road.

In my view, you all have a death wish if you do it, and I strongly advise that you restrict your listening to lift rides and breaks only.

I for one don't want to be wiped out while skiing by someone who is distracted by some crappy nu-metal riff - or whatever.

As the Yanks say - cease and desist !

SdS