• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Into week 5 of the season with hurricane strength blizzards giving us over 1 metre this week. Hold onto the kids in that wind - it's local school holidays. Best start in 21 years at Perisher. Here's part of the Perisher report:

"More advanced riders; the sheltered tree-lined off-piste runs will again be amazing today! In fact it will be truly fabulous everywhere so take your pick, there's powder galore. Beginners; the groomed runs will be soft and fluffy, great for a fun slide.

Perisher: Burnum Burnum and Sun Bowl should be outstanding with deep powder seams to carve into for advanced riders."

Originally Posted By: blu
Into week 5 of the season with hurricane strength blizzards giving us over 1 metre this week. Hold onto the kids in that wind - it's local school holidays. Best start in 21 years at Perisher. Here's part of the Perisher report:

"More advanced riders; the sheltered tree-lined off-piste runs will again be amazing today! In fact it will be truly fabulous everywhere so take your pick, there's powder galore. Beginners; the groomed runs will be soft and fluffy, great for a fun slide.
Perisher: Burnum Burnum and Sun Bowl should be outstanding with deep powder seams to carve into for advanced riders."

tantrum.jpg

Coz I am not there gnarly-dude.

And I would like to be.

Perth is a long long way from Thredbo or Perisher.

But believe me I have been checking out the flights - and I know where I can get accommodation a walk from the lifts...

If there is another big storm after school holidays I might just do it too - the last minute grab and go weekender wink

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Perth is a long long way from Thredbo or Perisher.

Perth is a long way from anything. God knows why anyone would live there! lol razz

Oi! There will be none of that talk!!

I was born in Perth, my family are in Perth - that is why I live in Perth.

WE bitch and moan about it being so flaming far from anywhere that we don't get 'stuff', or decent restaurants or whatever - oh and there is no snow...

BUT it is pretty laid back, and safe (except for Northbridge, where they will slash you with a glass in the face if you are not careful wink ), has no earthquakes of major note - and it is really not on the terrorists radar either.

lol

but it does have nasty red back spiders...

Wild day in Perisher/Thredbo - 140km winds giving a wind chill of up to minus 20C today. Lots of lifts on wind hold.

Looks like NZ is getting it too.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all about the kids these days MB. Snow conditions are irrelevant. So long as they have some white stuff to slide from A to B then they are happy. That's why we have been going late season as it's a bit cheaper.

Hey Mamabear - what dates? I'll be down in Jindabyne late August for a bit of a slide. I rode Thredbo and Perisher one day each a number of years ago so If anyone is keen to show me the mountains I would be happy to reciprocate here in Hakuba smile

26 - 29 Aug.

Fly in to Canberra 25th late night.

Drive up 26th early.

Ride PM 26th - up for Apres biggrin

Full day on the hill 27th/28th - also up for Apres biggrin

Half day Monday - hightail it to the airport in the afternoon.

Will stay in touch - sending my mobile #

The last 8 winters I've experienced have all been in Hokkaido so it's little surprise that I am finding winter in Aus to be on the warm side. We've barely had to have the heater on at all over the last few weeks. Everyone around us seems to complain that it's been a cold, wet winter but temperatures have been similar to what we would expect in mid May to early June in Hokkaido. Being in southern Victoria we are supposedly in one of the cooler areas of mainland Australia as well.

Nice for out daughter to be able to get outside more year round but wow what a pitiful excuse for a winter! I seem to remember it being colder in the past. Might just take a year or two for us to acclimatise to the warmer weather again for us to consider temps here cold.

Originally Posted By: Go Native

Nice for out daughter to be able to get outside more year round but wow what a pitiful excuse for a winter! I seem to remember it being colder in the past. Might just take a year or two for us to acclimatise to the warmer weather again for us to consider temps here cold.

It's all relative. I have just come back from a month in Indonesia. The locals would make me laugh. At dawn they would be shivering and rubbing their hands together. I would be sitting next to them in shorts and no shirt.

It's bloody warm today. 25deg! And it's right in the middle of winter.