I'm actually really considering doing a July-Sept in NZ next summer. Does anyone have any wise words for where to get a short job like this and where to stay? Also any good ideas on resorts or if you can be close to BC terrain? Thanks guys smile

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of South Americans in NZ.

They love it cos it´s easy to get a job, if you are OK with getting paid 5 bucks an hour packing fruits. Pruning (wine grape) pays better but you need to get your own shears (by from privious b´packer who worked). Both pretty shitty cos you gotta get up early.

Get a cleaning job somewhere or alcohol service.

Used cars are bombs and cheap, find one in Auckland and put it on a ferry when going to South island.

Originally Posted By: Nisoko
Used cars are bombs? confused

Old cars that are cheap and probably somewhat mechanically challenged are often referred to as 'old bombs' in Aussie slang.

over 50cm in 24hrs at Perisher:

"We've had a further 10cm of fresh snow overnight, making it a total of 50cm in the past 24 hours. The cover will consist of powder combined with lots of man-made snow. We had 167 snow guns out in force last night making the most of this storm front. It's boot deep just about everywhere!"

A great start to our season, might have to schedule an earlier trip than planned, if they would just open a few more lifts.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
I'm actually really considering doing a July-Sept in NZ next summer. Does anyone have any wise words for where to get a short job like this and where to stay? Also any good ideas on resorts or if you can be close to BC terrain? Thanks guys smile

Hi MP, bit late with this reply but there you go.
I am not sure about what work you were thinking about, but as far as where to stay, I reckon you would enjoy Wanaka the most. It is the closest base to Treble Cone and has a really good group of alpine adventurers living there.
Great access to some grat heli skiing and some good alpine touring options in the Pisa Range. TC has some good resort accessed chutes and Wanaka is also close to Snow Park which is the place for pipes and rails.
They certainly don't get the snow that Japan and Utah recieve [ especially this year by all reports ] but it would still be a great trip for you.
Keep us informed on your plans Mitch , we'll look forwards to some excellent videos from you mid next year !
It is many years since I lived down there , but am happy to offer tips as your plans firm. Will be able to put you in touch with some clued up locals as well.
Originally Posted By: TropicalPow
Originally Posted By: MitchPee

Hi MP, bit late with this reply but there you go.
I am not sure about what work you were thinking about, but as far as where to stay, I reckon you would enjoy Wanaka the most. It is the closest base to Treble Cone and has a really good group of alpine adventurers living there.
Great access to some grat heli skiing and some good alpine touring options in the Pisa Range. TC has some good resort accessed chutes and Wanaka is also close to Snow Park which is the place for pipes and rails.
They certainly don't get the snow that Japan and Utah recieve [ especially this year by all reports ] but it would still be a great trip for you.
Keep us informed on your plans Mitch , we'll look forwards to some excellent videos from you mid next year !
It is many years since I lived down there , but am happy to offer tips as your plans firm. Will be able to put you in touch with some clued up locals as well.

That helps so much, thanks a ton!

I was looking at Wanaka for a place to live. Treble sounds like the best place I would enjoy and a couple days at snowpark every now and then. I heard it's pretty hard to find employment over there. Is there some type of work that is available and not absolute minimum wage? I don't mind a bit lower pay just as long as it can pay rent haha. Thanks again!

oh by the way this is for Next July so 2012 haha. Hopefully you and some of the other guys from Wild Bill's will turn up!

MP, I have not been over there for years, your best place for that advice is probably the ski.com.au which has a lot of NZers on. As you know employment at any ski area never pays well. I don't know if you have used that site but a few familiar faces frequent it [ Go Native , Texy etc etc ]. I guess work visa is always the first issue to sort.

I knew you were referring to 2012, luckily for you as at this stage they are missing out on winterin NZ, the only snow is man made, a real snow drought.

PS, ended up buying a pair of AK JJs, can't wait to try them out.

Originally Posted By: TropicalPow
MP, I have not been over there for years, your best place for that advice is probably the ski.com.au which has a lot of NZers on. As you know employment at any ski area never pays well. I don't know if you have used that site but a few familiar faces frequent it [ Go Native , Texy etc etc ]. I guess work visa is always the first issue to sort.
I knew you were referring to 2012, luckily for you as at this stage they are missing out on winterin NZ, the only snow is man made, a real snow drought.
PS, ended up buying a pair of AK JJs, can't wait to try them out.

Good choice! You're never going back to anything smaller after I can promise haha!
Originally Posted By: blu
Mama, you in Thredbo?
50+ cms predicted out of this current system by late Wednesday.
I WISH!!!
Last I heard it was 40cm on the ground (lunchtime)...
Sadly my Thredbo buddies decided after the poor season last year to do the entire school holidays in NZ. We were supposed to be going with them, but the 3rd child got selected for an elite training program in Korea so we pulled out (as the plan was for the entire family to go). Poor buggers - they bailed on Thredders ONCE in the 5 yrs I have known them and here we have it a 1 in 5 yr snow event.
doh

I am hoping to get across in August.

You over there Blu?

Water Polo, Ski.

He, as the youngest on the tour, is the team b!%$# wink

And he is loving it. Trained with the seniors last night, and learned so much from them - two weeks with them, training with and playing against the Seoul WP players - opportunity of a lifetime. biggrin

But I would still like to go and hit up some of this snow...

I believe it is about 60cm already, with windblown (as always in Aus) drifts up to 3m tall in places, and more to come. sadface

sadface for me...

biggrin for whoever is lucky enough to be there!!

I was in Thredbo about a week ago. the snow was patchy in area but enough to keep me happy (must not take edges on patches where there was no snow)

I think there is a bit of a dump over the past 24 hrs so I am thinking about another trip