Were back, Perisher to open Front Valley for this weekend 20-22 May at discounted ticket price.

Otherwise, day Tickets for this year are AU$109 or around 9,100JPY.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highest peaks in Aus already have a reasonable cover for some backcountry turns. These photos are from last weekend (not my photos)

Some of the chutes off Mt Curruthers

IMG_5770_ed_red.jpg

Line off Mt Northcote

IMG_5800_ed_red.jpg

Mt Northcote and the summit of Mt Kosciuszko (Australias highest point at 2228m) rising behind it.

IMG_5822_ed_red.jpg

It's areas like this that actually have great skiing in Aus and reasonable snow quality. I don't really rate any of the ski resorts highly at all (incredibly overpriced for generally crap snow conditions) but backcountry Aus really can be awesome. Looking forward to getting up there when my ski gear gets here from Japan next month.

Just a word of warning though seemore. Aus resorts don't look like that and you'll find them painfully expensive. I can't see myself ever skiing at Aus ski resorts. I'll save my money for Japan or elsewhere that actually gets good snow and allows you to ski at a reasonable price. Aus backcountry though, like in the pictures above, is definitely worth the effort.

Originally Posted By: DiGriz
What's best powder season in New Zealand?

powder in NZ, the best season is complete luck of the draw unless you going to go heli-skiing.

Snowfall is fairly unpredictable, Early to mid August was the best bet when I lived there.

Not a good cover at any of the resorts. I think Perisher is opening up one of their lifts and skiing will be mostly on man made snow. Here's a webcam pic of the run open. Not too bad for May.

Xfront.jpg

This webcam gives a good view out towards some of the higher peaks in Aus and the backcountry terrain that is fairly easily accessible.

Xcowt.jpg

The highest point in Aus is 2,228m. The ski area above that is open has a base elevation of around 1,700m with the highest lifted point getting a bit up over 2,000m (not a lot of vertical). At nearby Thredbo the base elevation is at 1,370m and tops out at over 2,000m which is the biggest vertical of any resort in Aus. Snow cover down at the base though is sporadic and dependent on man made snow for much of the season. These resorts are in NSW. In Victoria the highest peak is 1,986m. The highest point at a ski resort in Vic is about 1,850m. Being further south though means a slightly lower snowline than in NSW. The snowline in mid winter would average from around 1,200m in southern Vic to over 1,400m in the northern part of the Snowy Mountains in NSW.

My favourite mountain in Aus is Mt Feathertop. Has some awesome terrain. Around a 4 hour walk up from the base to a nice hut you can base yourself out of. It's the 2nd highest peak in Victoria at 1,922m.

AlpineNPFeathertop.jpg

Powder in NZ is pretty hit and miss.. we were just deciding when we would take some time off work and decided on the middle 2 weeks of August was the best bet. Late enough in the season that there should be plenty of snow on the ground whatever the weather at the time. The snowfall is entirely random and could happen any time (but usually doesn't). Hard for planning holidays but ok if you live close enough to just take the day off work when you need to.

Well I have a 3 day trip booked at Threadbo (I have not been there for a few years) I hope to have a couple of more trips but I like to focus on another trip to Japan (2 weeks to a month I wish for)

Jynxx - its not worth hanging around waiting for powder, but it is worth going skiing. The absence of powder doesn't mean it is not fun to ski. There are lots of steeps and fun terrain as well as parks also groomers for some hard carving if that's your thing. Also you should usually be able to find some good snow to ski on if you go BC. Its just not very often we get to ski deep fresh lines.

Best town? I have done the last few seasons in Queenstown but this year we are shifting back to Wanaka to ski. If I lived closer to Christchurch I would be heading for the club fields. All have their own strengths and weaknesses.