It will depend on conditions of course, but in favorable conditions I would say it takes around 25 minutes or so to get to the Yamanouchi town area and then about another 15 minutes to drive up Route 292 to the first part of Shiga Kogen you encounter (Sun Valley / Maruike).

I prefer to take the scenic route via Kijimadaira and past Ryouu Ski Park rather than go back onto Route 117.

Add another 10-15 minutes to get to either of the extreme areas of Shiga Kogen in the north (Okushiga) or south (Yokoteyama).

Snowy or icy and add to that of course.

I suppose it must be because you mentioned it but I didn't think that road was open in winter...

I think Nozawa + Shiga Kogen make a great holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful on those roads up to Shiga, they are very slippery and I've almost wiped out a couple of times! Make sure you check out Maguse onsen on the way, its between Nozawa and Kita Shiga. Awesome onsen! And don't go by without popping in at Kappa sushi in Iiyama either.

The road up to Shiga Kogen is pretty slippery even with snow tyres and 4wd. I have almost lost it there a couple of times, take care! Between Noz and Shiga I highly recommend Kappa Sushi in Iiyama and Maguse Onsen (which is near Kijimadaira). Its an awesome onsen!

I saw the Nozawa - Madarao bus making quite a few runs with just a couple of people in it, but the people I know who went enjoyed it. Good on them for trying, hopefully it went alright and they can keep it going.

Yes it certainly can be slippy up there. Wonder how many 'incidents' there are up there each season. There must surely be cases of people just getting stuck.