Originally Posted By: Karnidge
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Well, at least they are doing new stuff. Is that replacing an older gondola?

Yes.

I would be interested to find out if they are re-purposing the old terminus buildings or if they are relocating the top terminus.

I sure hope they train the gondie lifties to 'encourage' more than one or two people loading into a gondola at a time when there is a queue.

Gaijin are smelly, so that might be too much of an ask Mamabear. wink
Not quite as smelly as the stinky just been smoked in with the windows up Gondie!!! lol

Anyway...this Gaijin smells of DAISIES biggrin
marcjacobslimitededitiondaisybottle_clv.

or occasionally...

dg_lightblue.jpg
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think that wouldn't you masher.

Unfortunately it just doesn't work like that often here. I used to work for a company and they would put out daft English like that --- and I WORKED THERE!! I was sat in the next office, and they didn't ask. I used to tell them how ridiculous it was, but it didn't wash.... they came up with some nonsense excuse about the English being for Japanese people who liked the Japanese style English (can you believe that?!)

I can never get my head round this and have seen it happen before. It just does not make any sense.
You'd think that wouldn't you masher.

Unfortunately it just doesn't work like that often here. I used to work for a company and they would put out daft English like that --- and I WORKED THERE!! I was sat in the next office, and they didn't ask. I used to tell them how ridiculous it was, but it didn't wash.... they came up with some nonsense excuse about the English being for Japanese people who liked the Japanese style English (can you believe that?!)

Did you point out how silly that was?

Someone just asked me if this was ok for a sign in the office.

"Let's doing best Japans" (with an s on the end there)

I said it was a bit silly but they said they liked that, so that's what we have now up in the office.

You'd think there were more important things to do hey?! lol

Bit sad to see this on Tokyu website- shows pretty deep lack of communication in town between powers that be and the local gaijins who have helped make the place what it is.

The History of Hirafu 50 year celebrations are also computer generated translations- when I am sure if asked, loads of people would have been more than happy to give them a read over so they would look presentable.

Originally Posted By: D train
Bit sad to see this on Tokyu website- shows pretty deep lack of communication in town between powers that be and the local gaijins who have helped make the place what it is.
The History of Hirafu 50 year celebrations are also computer generated translations- when I am sure if asked, loads of people would have been more than happy to give them a read over so they would look presentable.

It may sound strange but I think some people have the mindset that they are presenting this to Japanese, not foreigners. I actually heard someone infer that with something that happened here in Zao. It does show how out of touch some people are on the subject. It gets pretty embarrassing at times.

Some of hte signs and things here, not only ski resorts are just so funny. Incredible to think they wouldn't quickly ask a native speaker to check things over.

Sometimes a company will ignore the advice of a native speaker to go with something silly and suited to Japanese taste, like someone else said. I have seen this first hand though it was for a product aimed at the Japanese market. You might wonder why they would want English in there anyway if that was the case, but that's a whole different issue. Seems daft for Niseko related stuff to go this way, the company really must have no clue.

Seems daft for Niseko related stuff to go this way, the company really must have no clue.

Well the new " high speed" gondola will continue to spill people out the the same flats where they can ( at twice the numbers) access a two seater ( swinging monkey) or walk 150 metres to a triple chair across flat land.

Where as if same gondola went up a few hundred metres more ( and they are redoing the station so expense is not much of a factor) it would now

1) access Hanozono directly

2) provide beginners direct access to Holiday course, therefore providing continuous entry level green course access and

3) open accessibility to all of Hirafu

All without having to skate or "one -foot" a single step.

When I lived in Whistler, all senior management were REQUIRED to spend portions of at least 30 days each season on the mountain( your pass was checked as part of evaluations) to get a feel for customer sentiments and resort conditions.

My guess is in the years I have been in Niseko , hardly any Tokyu staff above liftie level have been out their black suits and cigarette filled meetings more than a handful of times at best.

so rather clueless yes.

Well the new " high speed" gondola will continue to spill people out the the same flats where they can ( at twice the numbers) access a two seater ( swinging monkey) or walk 150 metres to a triple chair across flat land.
Where as if same gondola went up a few hundred metres more ( and they are redoing the station so expense is not much of a factor) it would now
1) access Hanozono directly
2) provide beginners direct access to Holiday course, therefore providing continuous entry level green course access and
3) open accessibility to all of Hirafu
All without having to skate or "one -foot" a single step.

Why are they not doing the extra few hundred metres?
Why do they not listen to the presumably large amount of comments on it from the foreigners up there?
Can't help but think you aren't pushing it enough if it is such a big deal.
When I lived in Whistler, all senior management were REQUIRED to spend portions of at least 30 days each season on the mountain( your pass was checked as part of evaluations) to get a feel for customer sentiments and resort conditions. My guess is in the years I have been in Niseko , hardly any Tokyu staff above liftie level have been out their black suits and cigarette filled meetings more than a handful of times at best.

so rather clueless yes.

must be shite to work for Whistler smile

Why are they not doing the extra few hundred metres?

Why do they not listen to the presumably large amount of comments on it from the foreigners up there?

Can't help but think you aren't pushing it enough if it is such a big deal.

Because they don`t listen to us at all, that`s why ( talking re Tokyu). The Niseko Promotion Board was created as a supposed venue for foreigner/mountain interaction but after three years and considerable investment by many foreign and local business is being disbanded this spring, in no small part due to its overall ineffectiveness.

To quote from a local report of a presentation at the recently held Sydney Snow Travel Expo where Japanese resorts were given podium time to present to this valued ( and increasingly targeted by other J-resorts )market-

"Niseko (incl. reps from the NPB, Tokyu & Niseko United) elected not to present their allocated time, preferring instead to say only "We have a new Gondola, please come to Niseko.""

For the most part, none of the foreigners and local small business owners here can say much for fear of biting the hand that feeds them- and the fact that decisions are made without any public discussion whatsoever,which is fairly standard in Japan.

Thats why most Niseko locals if polled just quietly hope a big international resort would come in and scoop Hirafu up - not likely- and/or Hirafu could somehow be annexed away from Kutchan to Niseko town- also unlikely.

Still a great place to live, don`t get me wrong, but certainly not known for making the most of their opportunities in regards to developing the area as a global resort, which is a shame when you consider how depressed most of Hokkaido is- and how much it could benefit from a focused tourism initiative.

Sounds like excuses.

Fear of biting the hand that feeds them?

What exactly are they being fed, and what exactly are they afraid of, if indeed they have no say over anything anyway. Does the skijo support local businesses in any way, or put another way if the skijo didn't like a particular business what could/would they be able to do against them? Sounds like there's no relationship to break, from what you have said.

also, while I can understand people being pissed off with the crap Tokyu management, I personally wouldn't want a big International Resort management group to take over as they'd probably pump up the prices! biggrin Isn't places like Whistler expensive to ride in? If someone with savvy could come in take it but keep prices the same, I'd be happy razz

Originally Posted By: joshnii
Very easy to put 100% of the blame on Tokyu isn't it.
Is everything that isn't great 100% their fault?
stir

Mostly yes.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time living and working at the resort would agree.

Well they are totally and utterly useless. They have displayed some of the worst business sense I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. I can barely think of anything good about them at all. Like D train I have actually had meetings with upper management over the years and frankly they are a joke. They seem to have little to no understanding of the ski market. That includes the international and Japanese markets. They really are useless. Virtually none of the success Niseko has had in the last 10 years can be attributed to anything Tokyu have done. Except maybe selling Hanazono to an Australian company. That helped a lot. If only they'd sell the rest now.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Fear of biting the hand that feeds them?
What exactly are they being fed, and what exactly are they afraid of, if indeed they have no say over anything anyway. Does the skijo support local businesses in any way, or put another way if the skijo didn't like a particular business what could/would they be able to do against them? Sounds like there's no relationship to break, from what you have said.

So can you fill us in on this then.