From another thread

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
And are there any plans at all for the lift-served area of Niseko to expand?

I heard rumor just yesterday that the Gondie is being switched out for a high speed 8 person one, with redevelopment around that area to service beginners more and take some pressure of the family slope. Anyone confirm?

Yes, coming due to "your hearty supports".

Actually looks like there is more than one gondola coming! wink

That moving carpet which enables easy improvement with fun sounds good too.

I suppose there's not many English speakers in Niseko to help clean up translations.

lol

50th.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: stemik
good to see some investment into lifts at Niseko. Terrible marketing brochure!

Now if only they would change the Hilton Gondola and maybe allow us to ski anywhere on the mountain. I think that's asking too much :(.

It's already got one of the most liberal off-piste skiing policies of any resort in Japan Mitch! Just getting limited access to Mizuno no Sawa was a huge undertaking. Can't see some of the more extreme areas ever getting opened.

That brochure is typical of Tokyu. One of the worst run companies I think I have ever come across. Useless **** the lot of them. If they are at all typical of the sort of management of ski resorts in this country I'm hardly surprised so many of them are struggling and why domestic skier numbers overall continue to decline. A whole lot of old men who can't relate to the needs and wants of their own market let alone the foreign one.

No, of course not Muika. In all the years since the foreign market exploded here they still don't hire any foreigners at all. Think about that for a second and how ridiculous it is. Here they were, like most ski areas in the nation, just barely getting by with a dwindling domestic market. Then this new market (no thanks to them) starts to explode presenting an excellent opportunity of the likes they haven't seen in many years. Finally the possibility of some growth and maybe even some decent profits!!

You would think you'd want to do all you could to take advantage of this market yes? Find out what this market is looking for, what are their needs and wants and what you can do to cater to them (and make money). At the very least you would think maybe you should get in a foreign consultant who has top management experience in a successful overseas resort. You would expand your ski school staff to include foreign instructors and expand your ski hire facilities to have western sizes. This would be at the very least. But no, none of this occurred. Most of the foreign investment here has been to fill the void of services and accommodation options that the foreign market would take for granted at any other ski area in the world. Tokyu had a great opportunity to provide all of these services and really cash in on the development boom. They've mostly totally failed at this though. It's a real shame in my eyes. They had such great opportunities, mostly all squandered due to their ineptitude and inability to hire consultants and managers with experience of the foreign ski market. Niseko could be so much more if only Tokyu would sell up.

Originally Posted By: LordSalt
Have no rich gaijin companys tried to 'swoop in' and buy them out for some mad price tag?

Some of the gossip around here is that Tokyu are under a reasonable amount of pressure from the prefectural government not to sell. There has been a fair amount of backlash recently about foregners buying up Japanese land. They seem especially upset about Chinese investors (we all know how much love there is between China and Japan wink ). So there may be some political pressure not to sell up anymore of the land here to foreigners. Especially somewhat senstive land that falls within the quasi-national park which much of the resort is in.

I believe that they are finally going to expand their ski school to include foreign instructors and offer lessons in english next season. This is of course years too late and after a couple of foreign companies now dominate the lesson market and. We'll see how it turns out for them. They at least may (or should) offer cheaper rates.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I believe that they are finally going to expand their ski school to include foreign instructors and offer lessons in english next season.

Are you sure it's not actually 'lessons in Engrish' that they might be offering? wink

On the Hirafu site the link is marked イングリッシュ not 英語. You couldn't make it up!

Well, you could, but it wouldn't be as funny.

Well, at least they are doing new stuff. Is that replacing an older gondola?

Yes.

I would be interested to find out if they are re-purposing the old terminus buildings or if they are relocating the top terminus.

I sure hope they train the gondie lifties to 'encourage' more than one or two people loading into a gondola at a time when there is a queue.

You'd think that wouldn't you masher.

Unfortunately it just doesn't work like that often here. I used to work for a company and they would put out daft English like that --- and I WORKED THERE!! I was sat in the next office, and they didn't ask. I used to tell them how ridiculous it was, but it didn't wash.... they came up with some nonsense excuse about the English being for Japanese people who liked the Japanese style English (can you believe that?!)

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Well, at least they are doing new stuff. Is that replacing an older gondola?

Yes.

I would be interested to find out if they are re-purposing the old terminus buildings or if they are relocating the top terminus.

I sure hope they train the gondie lifties to 'encourage' more than one or two people loading into a gondola at a time when there is a queue.

Gaijin are smelly, so that might be too much of an ask Mamabear. wink