• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Do you have to do them to that music?

lol

All looks very silly.
no... you can choose any music you like, or even just provide your own accompaniment by grunting and groaning.

They might look silly, but burpee's are the work of the devil. They are evil and to be avoided at all costs.

However being more scared of my personal trainer than I am of burpee's I will do them when yelled at wink
Originally Posted By: KatyB
How's your exercises going Mamabear.

I have been trying. But I must admit, not hard enough. I find the motivation a big problem. Give me reason!

Book a ski trip Katy!
And welcome btw wavey

I find that making a commitment with others keeps me going, and having a ski trip coming up where I want to be strong and fit and keep going all day keeps me keen to go.

Another thing that has got me going recently is my dear old Nan.
She passed away 2 weeks ago, but bless her heart was still going to the gym even the week before she died (at 87). She used to tell me "use it or lose it"! If she can, I can. biggrin

do them Tabata protocol and you'll know all about it!! Although the burpees that I know don't have a press up in them, just the down to your hands, knees to the chest them stand up straight.....either way, you'll be begging for forgiveness if you do them Tabata

ok...so I looked up Tabata protocol and what you mean is go flat out for 30 seconds, have 10 seconds rest, then flat out for 30 (8 reps) with a warm up and cool down. Interval training, right?

20 secs on 10 secs off (1 set) for 8 sets.....yeah its similar to interval training but a bit nore intense. You can do it with any full body exercise and its meant to be 1 of the best fat-burning workouts on the go....damn it messes you up!! smile If you aren't jelly legged/armed/bodied by the end of it then you ain't doing it hard enough!! smile

I do a squat and shoulder press routine, 1st time I did it I used 10kgs cos 10kgs is nothing right, I can squat that and press that individually in my sleep right!!?? I didn't get past 3 reps and had to hurriedly change down to 5kgs to finish the set! I've built it up to 7.5kgs now and I'm taking it week at a time. You have to do as many perfect form reps as you can in the alloted minutes, you do't have to use weights and can do body weight exercises.

I hear ya.

My first set this morning of roundhouse kicks (10), burpee (1) was simple.

My partner said "jesus, Michelle, kick me off my feet why don't ya".

By the last set she was saying, come on Chelly you can do it, just one more! lol

it is the intensity - maintaining the intensity is hard work!

We incorporate Tabata workouts Tubby. Do you ever do more than the 4 min set?

Sometimes we will have 8 separate exercises and do 8 rounds with a min between each 4 min round, so 32 mins of it! fun fun, throw in some heavy kettle bells and you got yourself a workout! Another variation is to do a 400m sprint at the end of each 4 min set! That will slam you..

I usually do it in my home and will do the Tabata set only once (I'm totally snookered after smile ) then do some planks and abs work. I've done it with a dumbbell swing and press, very similar to a kettleball swing but I don't have kettlebals. I've seen a few videos of people doing Tabata stations, like you say Indo, they take it 1 exercise at a time......I can only imagine the pain!! lol

Yeah, TBinho, I was down in Shimoda this morning. Really really big waves. Probably over 10 foot (+3.5m)... for a few hours I was the only crazy one out there. When I got too tired I switched over to my longboard and caught some real bombers. It's been a long time since I caught such gnarly waves.

Tubbs,

Had a Tabata day today.

We did;

1 set of Squats (20secs on/ 10sec rest =4min)

1 set of push ups

1 set of KB thrusters 20kg (can do with a DB)

1 set of sit ups.

Thrusters after push ups are a biatch!

no running for me this week so far, but I took cub #2 (the snowboard instructor) to my fitball class yesterday (fitball and light and heavy weight combo's) - he is suffering today. lol

I am so evil.

I am taking him to cardio kickboxing in the morning, and he WILL be my partner - I will make sure of that!

lol

I really am taking far too much pleasure in kicking his butt lol

Originally Posted By: Indo
Tubbs,

Had a Tabata day today.

We did;
1 set of Squats (20secs on/ 10sec rest =4min)
1 set of push ups
1 set of KB thrusters 20kg (can do with a DB)
1 set of sit ups.

Thrusters after push ups are a biatch!

shit!! I gotta give Tabata sets a go. Were the squats just body weight? Whats KB thrusters?

Squats just body weight.

KB - Kettle bell

oops, we actually did KB swings not thrusters today! but you could do either or add it for a killer!

Google the exercise and you will find!

BTW Indo, do you do 1 Tabata set of each exercise before changing to the next exercise, or after 20 secs activity do you change to the next exercise....like a circuit station.......and complete the Tabata set that way?