Moving... and getting back money

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the impression many people just accept what they are told re: this rent business. They are not that used to people asking for breakdowns etc but people should. When I moved I took photos and let them know I did and that I wanted to know where any money spent was going. I accepted what they told me and ended up getting about half my money back.

yeah, I think there is a lot of rip-offs going on over here, but its weird. People don7t THINk they're being ripped off, if you speak to Japanese people they just say "its just the way it is", but if you politely ask the what's and the why's you'll probably get some dough back

Handy if you are wanting to make some bread, and probably just given to you because you are a gaijin. Yappari, gaijin wa pan desu ne?*. (* not a question)

1299862872pizza_dough.jpg

Japanese people get rice back.

I've heard that after a period of time (maybe 5 years?????) unless it's absolutely trashed (burned down????) it's called 'wear and tear' and legally landlords shouldn't be able to keep any of that money for repairs. Of course it's probably not contested much. I've been in my apartment for about 10 years, so I will test it when I eventually move out one day. The company who own my building always try and get as much back as possible or more, including 3man cleaning fee. I don't mind the cleaning fee cos they've been very helpful in general, but the rest, I know they'll rip up the carpets and tatami and put in lino flooring anyway (that's what they've been doing to the rest of the apartment rooms).

Some landlords and some real estate people representing them are some total scammers who will prey on the vulnerable and gullible. My last landlord wanted 30,000 to rehang the internal doors. That's retightening a screw folks. He also wanted 50,000 yen to rip down some tiles we'd fitted after him telling us we could do what we wanted. They'd been fitted by my old man who's a tradesman. The tiles were behind the cooker and replaced a bent piece of metal peeling off the wall. We were moving out having bought some land through the same real estate people and they just told him to shut up. We got a fair amount of money back in the end.

I don't think lawyers charge very much for a counter threatening letter if someone is trying to take the piss. The going rate is less than 10,000 yen.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Handy if you are wanting to make some bread, and probably just given to you because you are a gaijin. Yappari, gaijin wa pan desu ne?*. (* not a question)

lol
Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough

lol

Looks like you Hokkaidough!
Originally Posted By: sunrise
I've heard that after a period of time (maybe 5 years?????) unless it's absolutely trashed (burned down????) it's called 'wear and tear' and legally landlords shouldn't be able to keep any of that money for repairs. Of course it's probably not contested much. I've been in my apartment for about 10 years, so I will test it when I eventually move out one day. The company who own my building always try and get as much back as possible or more, including 3man cleaning fee. I don't mind the cleaning fee cos they've been very helpful in general, but the rest, I know they'll rip up the carpets and tatami and put in lino flooring anyway (that's what they've been doing to the rest of the apartment rooms).

Interesting for sure. Anyone have the chance to test that out of late?

Had the apartment inspection with the owner this morning. She didnt have too much to say except that the apartment was exceptionally clean but would still have to have the cleaners in as it states in the contract. She said the floors have to be waxed but there was no noticable damage that she could see.

She said that as it was built by Sekisui House the Sekisui Maintenance staff have to come and do maintenance and a plumber has to come to inspect the water heater and parts possibly replaced which comes out of the deposit. I asked her where in my contract it states that I have to pay for maintenance and parts for the water heater but apart from the cleaning and damage clause there was nothing regarding maintenance that she could show me.

I told her that I want to see a quote and receipts for work done and she said she would get back to me in the next couple of weeks with an idea of what we are expected to pay.

Treated it like a business meeting. Gave her a box of cakes as a thankyou present and discussed the apartment. She definitely left with the understanding that if there were any excessive or unusual charges or things unrelated to the contract then I would be questioning them. I grew out of using the "agressive gaijin" routine a long time ago but would still use it in the rare occasion if needed.

Good luck to you Krusty.

Our guy hit us with an estimate for work written by one of his mates, so that's a good but not a surefire way of avoiding any scams. Lots of people in inaka in particular are involved in building work one way or another. Many people will know someone.

As for the aggressive gaijin one, we were with my father in law when he bought his car at the Toyota dealer. He got himself a large discount and a free alloys, satnav and ETC but it was after being firm and certainly not what you would call "polite".

I moved from a place I had been in 6 years and got back all but 30,000 of my 120,000 yen initial payment. That was for a few things that were broken here and there. Seemed like a decent deal to me, I was glad to get that much. Truth be told I had forgotten about it.

Originally Posted By: big-will
Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough

lol

Looks like you Hokkaidough!

It does, doesn't it? lol

I think it is a waste of time getting a place polished up when moving out. They are going to get cleaners in whatever you do. Just have it presentable and 'clean', that's enough. Anything more and you are wasting time.