Good point that. I have never seen them out trapping people in bad weather conditions. Having said that, it's not that often I see them doing it at all, but there you go!

It's a massive source of revenue here.

All residential areas are 50km/h and school zones are 40km/h. Some wide open stretches of good straight road are 80km/h. Suits me, I hate people speeding.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
When we were in Japan driving, someone told us that the police only usually go out on their speeding hunts in good sunny weather. Wouldn't want to get their nice hats and throbbing red sticks all wet. Don't know if there is any truth to that, anyone?

Every time I have noticed them, it's been fine.
Originally Posted By: HoTRoD
Do you hate people going 50kmh in a 40kmh zone, one that is a straight stretch of road and has good visibility? Does everyone deseve to be nabbed there?

It wouldn't matter if it was 30km/h or 70km/h, people will still go over the limit. Too many lives are lost to speeding drivers, including a member of my family.
Yes, 40km/h zones annoy me too but the law is the law and it is clearly sign posted.
Why do people need to speed? Are they late for work? Are they going to miss Opera on TV. I just don't get it.
Originally Posted By: Mantas

Why do people need to speed?

I know I broke the speed limit when my wife was going to give birth as we were in an emergency.

Is that ok? confused

I speed every day. Probably do at least 35kmh on a 30kmh road. 30kmh is silly. In fact, I'd say it was dangerous.

And what's more, you say it is clearly posted but in a fair few areas, it is not.

Sorry to hear about your family member. Under what circumstances were they killed if you don't mind me asking?

Are you saying that you never, EVER, go even slightly over a speed limit Mantas? If so I doubt there are very many of you guys around.

Do you hate people going 50kmh in a 40kmh zone, one that is a straight stretch of road and has good visibility? Does everyone deseve to be nabbed there?

It wouldn't matter if it was 30km/h or 70km/h, people will still go over the limit. Too many lives are lost to speeding drivers, including a member of my family.
Yes, 40km/h zones annoy me too but the law is the law and it is clearly sign posted.
Why do people need to speed? Are they late for work? Are they going to miss Opera on TV. I just don't get it.

Opera?
phantom-of-the-opera-poster.jpg

Or did you mean Oprah?
oprah-kfc-factory-farms.jpg

wink (yes I am an asshole)

Sorry to hear about the family member though - that is rough. There are far too many people doing seriously dangerous things on the roads on a regular basis - drink driving and driving at speed well above the maximum limits in the country let alone the posted limit.

Remember not to duck ropes at ski resorts as well, hey.

Stupid thing is, that they (here in Aus, that is) insist that "there is no such thing as safe speeding"! So, how does it happen that the "safe" speed changes in an instant from 50kph to 100kph at the outskirts of a town?

Speeding is a "heinous" crime, not like selling smack or shooting a whole lot of people, or stealing a car, for instance. There was a time when we here had a "prima facie" limit of 100km/hr (actually 60mph!) anywhere outside of built up (= populated town) areas. That meant that you had to prove that you were not driving dangerously if you drove over that speed. That was obviously too hard for the poor coppers, they needed a single, identifiable number so they knew what to do!

(BTW, why do they have 2 coppers in a car? - Answer because one is good with numbers and one is good with letters, so they can eventually get the registration plate right!)

Quote:
OK, so to recap then....

Rules are rules, and things are clearly signposted, but you decide which ones you and others should follow or not.

I see.

I'm not sure why you decided to compare road safety rules with skiing out of bounds at resorts and the resulting danger to others, but I'll entertain it all the same. 1616 people died on Australian roads in 2007

source
Thirty-one per cent of fatal crashes in 2007 occurred on roads zoned 60 km/h or below;
Twenty-two per cent occurred in 65-95 km/h zones and 47 per cent were in 100 km/h zones or above

The same year there were 2 deaths in Australian ski resorts, neither related to out of bounds skiing.
I am someone who has lost somebody from a selfish arse-hole that thought speed zones weren't important. Sure, I'll concede that they are primarily a revenue raising exercise, but hey, governments need money to operate and I'm more than happy for them to extract the money from those that put others lives in danger.

When I see the police spending their time collecting money of Mr & Mrs Normal going slightly over the low speed limits and certainly not being in any way dangerous, I just wish they were spending their energy and time on getting bad guys and other more 'productive for society' things.

If they are going to go out and get people for speeding, get the ones who are really speeding, not just anyone from that pool of 95% of people going over slightly over the limit.