Today has been interesting.

At the top of my road, the police set up a radar/speeding thing, with people caught having tp turn left into my road. I could see it all from where I am and it made for an interesting experience. The speed limit on the stretch of road they were catching people on is 40kmh, and it is one of those places where pretty much everyone is probably going 55-60kmh, and being safe with it. 40kmh is a joke.

Anyways, they were literally catching and booking tons of people (with everyone busting the linit, they had good choice). The only thing preventing them stopping more people is the space where the cars can park while the criminal drivers fill in their details. Even so, It was a pretty constant stream of people getting stopped. They had about 4 police taking all the details and it was a pretty smooth operation.

I would say they were booking well over 50 people an hour. If all of those were going to have to pay 10,000 yen, say, that's 500,000 yen an hour and they are still busy doing it now with no shortage of people to catch!

Not a bad little earner for the cops hey?!

Ah yes I get the impression it's easy money for them.

Short of cash, lets go out and book everyone!!

Actually I saw 2 'traps' here today, looks like they are out in force for the holidays.

I think the fine is more the faster you are going.

My lady was doing 16kmh over the limit when she got caught last year and here fine was 12,000 yen.

I remember my friend fined something like 7,500 yen for not being quite as fast.

The speed limits in Japan are an absolute joke. I wouldn't mind if the police here really cracked down on speeding if the limits were somewhat reasonable. Everytime though I've been pulled over by cops here for speeding (quite a few times), once they see I'm a foreigner they just tell me to slow down and let me go without a fine!

Here is an interesting speeding story.

I was in the car when my good friend got pulled over.

Fined something like 12,000 for doing 18 over the limit.

She is a teacher.

The first thing she did was phone the kyoto-sensei, deputy head, to tell him.

She said it was best to do that.

I thought that was a bit wild, but what she said next was even madder.

She said that she was wasn't more than 20 over the limit, so she should be ok.

"OK?" I asked.

Apparently, if she was speeding more than 20 (or 30) over the limit, as a public worker she may well have been docked some of her salary!!!

Can anyone confirm something like that?

I didn't know how to drive when I went to Japan in 2003, but this time around I did and I was shocked on the highway from the airport to Osaka - I mentioned to Mr Minty "are the speed limit signs in Mph?" and eventually we confirmed with someone that no, they aren't, they are in kmph - everyone just speeds really badly.

Originally Posted By: r45
Here is an interesting speeding story.
I was in the car when my good friend got pulled over.
Fined something like 12,000 for doing 18 over the limit.
She is a teacher.
The first thing she did was phone the kyoto-sensei, deputy head, to tell him.
She said it was best to do that.
I thought that was a bit wild, but what she said next was even madder.
She said that she was wasn't more than 20 over the limit, so she should be ok.
"OK?" I asked.
Apparently, if she was speeding more than 20 (or 30) over the limit, as a public worker she may well have been docked some of her salary!!!
Can anyone confirm something like that?

Don't know r45, but I can imagine it being true!

Back home I think people would say what the hell has it got to do with work?! confused

I got caught doing 70 in a 50 on the way to our son's blessing at the temple. The equivalent of a Christening. It cost me over 20000 yen.

It was on a straight section at the bottom of the long hill just as you leave Hakuba towards Nagano. It was in our Prius so the car was freewheeling at the time with the engine off. Its how the Prius works. Anyway, at the bottom of that hill, I reckon you'd be doing over fifty km/h easily on a road bike (i.e., a bicycle).

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
.....Its how the Prius works.....

You should have told him that, did it not work? wink

Those traps are crafty. As someone said, nice little easy earner as all but a few fuddy-duddys go over the limits here.

Got nabbed last month near where I live. Never seen them before in that place but they were totally out of view so no warning. That few seconds when the bloke jumped up with his big red flashing sticks seemed to take forever.

I was going 16km over the 40 limit. Fine was 12,000 yen.

No actually one a less major road.

They had a stready stream of EVERYONE speeding over the limit though.

Seriously, in the place they got me I can't imagine anyone keeping to the limit.

I drove that stretch of road yesterday at exactly the speed limit. It was ridiculous. People behind me getting annoyed too.

In inaka, most of the speed traps seem to be on open stretches of road. It would make more sense to put them in the built up areas where accidents do happen and people get run over. In front of Hakuba station, for example.

As I said I ended up speeding simply by not hitting the brakes when going downhill. I would do 50 plus in the same spot on a bicycle. You can only conclude that they want to catch as many people as possible, not keep people to safe speeds in accident prone spots.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
You can only conclude that they want to catch as many people as possible, not keep people to safe speeds in accident prone spots.

Without a doubt.
It's not about safety, grabbing people doing 40 in a 30 zone where it's open road and good visibility.
Just grabbing cash.

Those scallywags.

You can't go about life keeping to the limits though as they are so unrealistic. I suppose people decide to just take the risk.

Actually, in Japan do they give you a % over that is safe? Like, if the limit is 40, you are ok doing 45 without being caught or something similar?

When we were in Japan driving, someone told us that the police only usually go out on their speeding hunts in good sunny weather. Wouldn't want to get their nice hats and throbbing red sticks all wet. Don't know if there is any truth to that, anyone?

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
When we were in Japan driving, someone told us that the police only usually go out on their speeding hunts in good sunny weather. Wouldn't want to get their nice hats and throbbing red sticks all wet. Don't know if there is any truth to that, anyone?

you mean their Jedi Light Saber's