Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

wakaranai I don't get what you mean. I know that having the window open would not be effective cooling system....thats what I said.

Never mind. I misunderstood what you said.
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I had a window one when I lived in Kansai in some crappy barely post-war apartment, a bunka-juutaku if anyone knows what one of them is. The cooler was maybe 1993 vintage. I filled the space above it with a bit of cardboard and locked the window with a stick or a screw through a hole I put in the window frame, I don't remember which.

I can't say the noise or cost particularly bothered me. All I remember is that it was cooler and that was NICE.

They work just fine if you fit them proper and they come with all the stuff you need to fill it in neatly and properly.

Corona I think are the best and quietest.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
You do need to take the thing for wee-wee's every now and again ....

lol

I was in this situation last year.
Ended up getting a window one as getting a proper one fitted ended up sounding like a ton of hassle.
It works good, it's fairly quite and as I use it in the daytime not for sleeping I don't notice a noise at all really.
And it's a small room so it cools it just fine.

God yes! So true, and at 2am, one of the most annoying sounds you can hear, is that "beep, beep" warning to let you know exactly that.
Originally Posted By: RobBright

God yes! So true, and at 2am, one of the most annoying sounds you can hear, is that "beep, beep" warning to let you know exactly that.

Either it was blurry humid (and you wouldn't have been sleeping at 2am without it) or someone forgot to take baby tinkle before bedtime! lol wink
Originally Posted By: RobBright

Either it was blurry humid (and you wouldn't have been sleeping at 2am without it) or someone forgot to take baby tinkle before bedtime! lol wink

You have been to Japan during summertime, right? wink

Are landlords usually ok for an aircon? I can't imagine them saying no, as long as you pay for it and I presume pay for any patching up when you leave. What's involved in a patch up anyway?

Originally Posted By: sanjo
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I had a window one when I lived in Kansai in some crappy barely post-war apartment, a bunka-juutaku if anyone knows what one of them is. The cooler was maybe 1993 vintage. I filled the space above it with a bit of cardboard and locked the window with a stick or a screw through a hole I put in the window frame, I don't remember which.

I can't say the noise or cost particularly bothered me. All I remember is that it was cooler and that was NICE.

They work just fine if you fit them proper and they come with all the stuff you need to fill it in neatly and properly.

Corona I think are the best and quietest.

I can assure you that they work just fine even if you don't fit them properly or neatly. You may have no option if you are dealing with a 1950s window. The parts I got were useless.
Originally Posted By: Error404
Are landlords usually ok for an aircon? I can't imagine them saying no, as long as you pay for it and I presume pay for any patching up when you leave. What's involved in a patch up anyway?

Yeah, they seem to have been fine with me. "just" involved drilling a hole in the wall for the pipes to go through.

when you move out, usually some plasticine-like substance is placed in the hole or sometimes a plastic cover that fits into the hole depending on the person doing the uninstalling.

I am buying a new one and only last week asked the company who look after my apartment building. They had no problem with me wanting to install a proper aircon, said ok straight away.

friend

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
What floor are you on?

Sometimes the installation and parts add a fair whack onto the price of the machine itself.

It certainly does. When I used to do domestic installations, the install price was often higher than the machine itself.
I'm not sure if I'd be happy about a 50mm hole in the wall, patched up with some kind of goop, if I owned the building.

OK thanks for all the feedback folks.

Ended up ordering a proper aircon. The landlord said ok and they I got one for just over 50,000 yen. Installing it will cost less than 10,000 yen so not expensive at all really.

Looking forward to it as the first signs of humidity are here.

You may know this TB, but the "installation included" is usually a bare minimum, ground floor deal. Anything that needs going up on the 2nd floor etc and it's extra. And so are covers to the ducts and stuff like that.

Well, was when I did this a while back.

I was thinking that, but its cool cos I live in a house and already have one upstairs, just need one in the Living room (which is downstairs). I'd definitely ask more Q's if and when i sign up for it thumbsup

Yes, round here it's like that in all the shops round here. The free installation seems to apply to... almost no-one! If you want one putting up on a 2nd floor, it seems to be close to 20,000 yen to get it all setup.

I'm looking for one now. There was a Toshiba deal at under 50,000 yen but stock will only be available in the middle of June --- too late!! So I plumped for one and it will cost me just over 75,000 yen for it to be here and installed. Seems reasonable to me.

Aircon installed.

Not easy things to install are they - 2 blokes busy busy for an hour or so. Anyway it's in now and ready to take on the heat.