OK so it won't be long before things start getting hot and I am needing some cooling down machine for a room at home. I want something better than an electric fan. But I don't want to have some outside part to an airconditioner put on the outside of the house either.

I suppose ideally I want something that is as good as, or nearly as good as, an airconditioner, but more 'portable'.

Does such a thing exist!

Hmmm those things are not as effective as real aircons. Not sure if the initial saving is worth it. Unless it's a building restriction or something you are trying to get round.........

yeah, those things just recycle the air in the room right? They may well cool the air but the outside unit style is much more effective, drawing in and cooling air from outside

oh right, I always assumed they just recirculated the air. Thats not very economical eh? The cracked window would let hot steamy air into the room as well

You could also try what they call "Window Aircon" which is like something in between. ウインドエアコン  Doesn't need holes in the wall.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
lol

Sorry, didn't mean to come across like I perhaps did there!

wink

haha, don't worry Muika, I didn't think you were an wink!!
wink

I got one of those, you put cold water and ice packs in the bottom tank and then it gently sprays a fine cool mist and cold air out. The air that comes out of it is quite cold, but it no where near powerful enough to cool a room, unless it is very small, it just cools you if you are in front of it.

It is good when you want to sleep as it does make you feel cooler, and has an off timer etc, bit as a room air con, not much good!

I've used something like what Muika shows. Works, but loud.

For fundamental thermodynamics reasons you'll always need to be able to vent heat to the outside if you want to cool a room. The difference between the self-contained (window-snorkel and window-mount types) and split units is that the latter ones can put the noisy bits outside.

I think those window ones have come on a bit. When I first came here there was one in my place - noisy and looked a bit of a mess. But my friend has one in her new apartment and it sounds and looks much better.

I think most landlords will be ok with you making the hole for a proper aircon.

I would go with that if possible... smaller, quieter, less messy once it is up and also I believe cheaper to run.

Portable Air Conditioners (the ones that fit to an ajar window with a fixture that seals the window around the vent tube) are excellent choices for renters.

If you own your own home or are staying in a rental for a LONG time and are happy to pay for an improvement to the property that you can't take with you (and landlord is also happy) then go for it and install proper air con.

However portable is the next best thing.

I bought one for each of my parents in law - they are in government housing and there is no air con provided. They use it in the living room and it gives them the relief required from the horrid stanky humid days,

I also bought one for #1 son's 19th birthday. Our ducted aircon does not work in his room. 3yrs down the track 4 tradies later and no improvement - he is also potentially going to move out one day (one can live in hope....). He was happy for this to be his gift as he can take it with him. In a share house it could be in his bedroom, if his own place in the lounge room...where ever cooling is required.

They take 15 minutes to install from pulling up in the driveway (add more for stairs). I did it myself x 3. Admittedly carrying the box was a push even for me (I am pretty strong), but once inside it was simple.

Remove from box.

Plug in to power.

Open sliding window.

Insert expandable window piece and vent hose (Had to cut son's down a bit because of an unusual 100yr old sash window).

Turn on.

You do need to take the thing for wee-wee's every now and again as it sucks the humidity out of the air. MIL and FIL unplug theirs, roll it to the sliding door to outside and let it drip onto the paving outside. Eldest son is sneaky...his bedroom has wooden floors with a cavity and sand below. He lifts a nearby termite inspection flap and lets his aircon go tinkle while it is still running!

Tell you what, I'm in the market for an aircon.

But I walked into the shop at the weekend to be confronted by about 435,434 different models.

When I said I wanted a fairly basic on that was fairly cheap, it narrowed it down to only 2,334 models.

I gave up frustrated.

So can someone tell me a good one to look for, seems I can get a smallish one for around 5 man. Something like that would be the ticket.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
yeah, those things just recycle the air in the room right? They may well cool the air but the outside unit style is much more effective, drawing in and cooling air from outside
What the??
Tubby, try keeping your beer cold with the fridge door open all day.

Portable A/C units.

Pros

Portable 'doh'
Relatively cheap

Cons

Noisy inside the room.
Usually come with maximum capacity of 4kW, not big enough for large rooms.
They draw your lovely cool air, that you just paid to have conditioned, into the machine then exhaust it outside through a tube. Not very efficient. (The 4 kW could be discounted to about 3kW)

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
What the??
Tubby, try keeping your beer cold with the fridge door open all day.

wakaranai I don't get what you mean. I know that having the window open would not be effective cooling system....thats what I said.

I would expect the not being as efficient would mean that in the long run they cost more to run as well.

The other thing about those window ones is that they are bulky on your window. Not ideal, especially in a small room.

Ask your landlord before getting a proper one fit up. They need to make a hole. I doubt they would say no, but best to get that "ok" first. You might need to get the hole fixed up as well when you leave. Make sure you know what the deal is there.

But if you can, get a proper one.

What a portable might look like

portable-air-conditioner-window.jpg

1677387_1.jpg

Advantage: Plug and Play instant results, portable.

Disadvantage: cools small area, less efficient/more costly

What a window air con might look like

window_air_conditioner_room.jpg

Window-Air-Conditioner.png

Advantage: relatively easy install - some effort/knowledge required. Probably more efficient but still not capable of cooling large area.

What a fully installed unit might look like (Split System)

home-air-conditioners-Sydney-split-syste

Advantage: More powerful units available. Can cool large area. Doesn't take up your window space. Probably more efficient (cheaper)

Disadvantage: Professional install, takes time, probably require 3 phase power. Can't take it with you.

Just so we are all talking about the same type of systems.

I had a window one when I lived in Kansai in some crappy barely post-war apartment, a bunka-juutaku if anyone knows what one of them is. The cooler was maybe 1993 vintage. I filled the space above it with a bit of cardboard and locked the window with a stick or a screw through a hole I put in the window frame, I don't remember which.

I can't say the noise or cost particularly bothered me. All I remember is that it was cooler and that was NICE.