I've experienced a tornado before (nothing on the scale of what happened in Alabama though). It was a frightening experience to say the least. It started off in a really eerie way as well with the sky turning greenish (it was at dusk) almost like what you see with the aurora borealis. Saw some trees snapping in half and the pressure changed so much inside that we couldn't get the doors or windows open.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
It was at my cottage in Ontario about 1.5 hours west of Ottawa. It used to be very unusual for something like that to happen but unfortunately tornadoes are becoming almost a yearly occurrence there now.

Yeah they can be scary. My uncle lives in tornado alley and when I visited once we got to see an F4 I think it was. Like you said the sky got green and there was GOLF BALL sized hail. I've never heard such a loud sound it felt like people were shooting machine guns next to your ear. Really surreal feeling before the tornado touched down as well.

Wow, that is insane. I thought cyclones were scary razz

I feel terrible for them - what is the attraction of living in tornado alley if the tornados are getting so frequent? It's mostly farm land isn't it, but there are cities through there right. I don't really know much about that part of the USA so any info or insight is new to me smile

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
I feel terrible for them - what is the attraction of living in tornado alley if the tornados are getting so frequent? It's mostly farm land isn't it, but there are cities through there right. I don't really know much about that part of the USA so any info or insight is new to me smile

Well, I imagine they wonder the same thing about living on the Pacific Ring of Fire. smile
Nowhere's perfect, but somewhere's got to be home, hey?